Last modified: 2018-09-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: valdepiélagos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Valdepiélagos - Image from the Spanish official gazette, 19 September 2017
The municipality of Valdepiélagos (587 inhabitants in 2017, 1,759 ha; municipal website) is located 60 km north-east of Madrid, on the border with the Province of Guadalajara (Castilla-La Mancha).
Valdepiélagos was established, according to the local historian Jaime
Pereda Martín, at some date between 1085, the year of the Christian
reconquest of the Kingdom of Toledo, and 1335. A privilege signed by King John II on 22 July 1429 confirms an earlier privilege signed on 22
July 1420 by Alfonso XI. Valdepiélagos was mentioned in Philip II's
Relaciones Topográficas (1690) as a dependency of Talamanca.
The original privilege transferred the jurisdiction over Valdepiélagos to Gonzalo Ruiz de la Vega "as a reward for his service". John II's privilege confirmed the jurisdiction to Leonor de la Vega, daughter of Garcilosa de la Vega and niece of Gonzalo. At the time, the ecclesiastic lord of Valdepiélagos was the Archbishop of Toledo. In 1574, Philip II sold Talamanca, Valdepiélagos included, to the Marquis of Auñón, who sold it ten years later to García de Alvarado. The domain remained owned by the same lineage until 1669, when acquired by the Duke of Béjar.
Valdepiélagos was granted the title of villa on 3 May 1801 by Charles IV, in spite of the opposition of the Duchess of Béjar.
Ivan Sache, 1 April 2018
The flag of Valdepiélagos, adopted on 13 January 2017 and validated on
27 February 2017 by the Royal Academy Matritense of Heraldry and
Genealogy and on 31 March 2017 by the Royal Academy of History, is
prescribed by an Agreement adopted on 29 August 2017 by the Government
of the Community of Madrid and published on 19 September 2017 in the
official gazette of the Community of Madrid, No. 223, pp. 27-29 (text), and on
19 September 2017 in the official Spanish gazette, No. 226, pp.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3, vertically divided in the middle, yellow at hoist and blue at fly; in the center, the municipal coat of arms in an approximate proportion of 3/5 of the flag's width.
The coat of arms of Valdepiélagos is prescribed by a Resolution adopted
on 18 November 1991 by the Government of the Community of Madrid and
published on 27 November 1991 in the official gazette of the Community
of Madrid, No. 282, pp. 4-5 (text), and on 23 January 1992 in the Spanish
official gazette, No. 20, p. 2,188 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per fess dancetty, 1. Azure, 2. Or two fesses wavy azure. A bordure per fess, 1. Gules six caldrons or charged with two fesses sable, 2. Argent a four-link chain or. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown.
Ivan Sache, 22 March 2018