Last modified: 2017-01-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: algarrobo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Algarrobo - Image from the Símbolos de Málaga website, 11 September 2016
The municipality of Algarrobo (6,144 inhabitants in 2008; 970 ha; municipal website) is located on the Costa del Sol, 40 km east of Málaga. The village of Algarrobo, administrative center of the municipality is located 4 km off the coast; the other settlements in the municipality are Algarrobo Costa (on the sea shore), Mezquitilla and Trayamar.
The village of Algarrobo, of Moorish origin, was transferred in 1487 to Pedro Enríquez, whose descendants sold it in 1519 to Pedro Fernández de Córdoba, Marquis of Camares, whose family ruled it until the abolition of the feudal system in 1811. The Phoenician necropolis of Trayamar (7th century BP), excavated in the 1960s by the German Institute of Archeology of Madrid, is the most important Phoenician funerary complex in the western Mediterranean basin. Jewels and other artefacts found in the stone tombs are kept in the Provincial Archeological Museum of Málaga.
Ivan Sache, 29 June 2009
The flag of Algarrobo, adopted on 11 March 2009 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 12 March 2009 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 7 April 2009 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 23 April 2009 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 77, p. 43 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3, divided in three vertical embattled stripes, white, blue and white, the central stripe with proportions 2:4 compared with the stripes at hoist and fly with proportions 1:4. In the middle of the blue stripe a white carob tree.
The coat of arms of Algarrobo is prescribed by Decree No. 492, adopted on 27 February 1975 by the Spanish Government and published on 21 March 1975 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 69, pp. 5,825-5,826 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Azure a carob tree and a castle all argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
The carob tree (algarrobo) makes the arms canting; it is a symbol of purity and renovation. The castle alludes to the old watching tower erected on the beach and kept as an artistic element.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Málaga]
Ivan Sache, 29 June 2009