Last modified: 2017-01-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: genalguacil |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Genalguacil - Image by "Nethunter" (Wikimedia Commons), 8 August 2009
The municipality of Genalguacil (526 inhabitants in 2008; 3,100 ha; municipal website) is located in the valley of the Genal, 155 km west of Málaga.
Gold, silver and copper were extracted by the Phoenician and Greek colonists in the area; remains of hand mills used to triturate ore have been found in the place called Los Morteretes. Anyway, the name of the village is of Moorish origin, as Genna al-Wacir, "the Vizir's Gardens". A Muslim dignitary must have enjoyed the place. After the Christian reconquest, the village was granted to the Duke of Arcos. The Mudéjar Muslims revolted in 1500; the next year, they defeated troops commanded by Alonso de Aguilar, so that King Ferdinand had to negotiate peace in personam. The Mudéjar who refused to abjure Islam emigrated to North Africa, while those who converted and remained in Andalusia were called Moriscos. The revolted Moriscos were eventually expelled in 1570 and Genalguacil was resettled by Christians. The village was granted the rank of villazgo at a yet unknown date.
Encuentros de Arte (Arts Meeting) were organized in Genalguacil for the first time in 2004. Every two years during the two first weeks of August, the village is transformed into a living museum, with original sculptures being placed in the streets and squares. Several of the sculptures shown during the festival have been offerred by the artists to the municipal museum.
Ivan Sache, 8 August 2009
The flag of Genalguacil, adopted on 31 March 2004 by the Municipal Council, is prescribed by a Resolution adopted on 17 May 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 6 June 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 117, p. 13,330 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular panel, in proportions 2:3, horizontally divided in three equal parts, the upper and the lower white and the central itself horizontally divided in three parts, red, white and red, respectively. In the center the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Genalguacil is prescribed by Royal Decree No. 2,643, adopted on 16 October 1976 by the Spanish Government and published on 24 November 1976 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 282, p. 23,398 (text). This was confirmed by a Resolution adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent a lion rampant gules crowned or holding dexter a sword or crossed per saltire with a palm of the same cantonned by three fleurs-de-lis azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The arms appear to recall the defeat of a French column in 1810, therefore the lion with a sword and the palm of victory. The fleurs-de-lis were most prabably a Royal grant.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Málaga]
Ivan Sache, 8 August 2009