Last modified: 2016-04-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: ceutí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Ceutí - Image by Ivan Sache, 4 May 2015
The municipality of Ceutí (11,035 inhabitants in 2014; 1,034 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of the Region of Murcia, The municipality is made of the town of Ceutí and of the villages of Los Torraos (803 inh.) and Vistalegre.
Ceutí was established by the Moors, as Zepti. After the Christian reconquest, King Alfonso X the Wise transferred in 1274 the town from Gil García de Azagra, who had left Murcia, to Jordán Despuig "ElAlemán" (The German). In 1295, Sancho IV transferred Ceutí to Juan de Osórez, Master of the Order of St. John. The town was subsequently granted to different religious orders or noble lineages, either by the Crown of Castile or Aragón. The burghers sued several times their lord, for instance the Marquis of Espinardo and the Count of Montealegre (1776) and the Marquis of Valparaíso (1837), to obtain improvement of the town, to no avail. Ceutí was also in permanent conflict with the neighbouring towns (Archena, Molina Seca, Cotillas, and, most of all, Alguazas) for the delimitation of the municipal territory and access to water resources.
The Antonio Campillo Museum (presentation) was inaugurated on 18 December 2003 in a noble house from the 19th century. The main works of Antonio Campillo (1925-2009), a noted sculptor from Murcia, are El Ciclista (2002) and 15 statues offered to the St. Roch chapel (2004). Campillo was awarded in 2008 the title of "Preferred Son" of the Town of Murcia.
Ivan Sache, 4 May 2015
The flag and arms of Ceutí, adopted on 23 November 1989 and 20 March 1991 by the Municipal Council, are prescribed by Decree No. 69,
adopted on 11 July 1991 by the Government of the Region of Murcia and
published on 20 July 1991 in the official gazette of the Region of
Murcia, No. 167, p. 4,835 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Panel in proportions 2:3, green, in the center is placed a golden yellow tower with red port and windows, covering half of the flag's width and guarded by a brown dog.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Vert a tower or masoned sable port and windows gules on waves argent and azure guarded by a dog proper in chief dexter a crescent argent. A bordure argent with a chain sable broken into two equal parts. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown [detailed description skipped].
The flag in actual use (photo, photo) appears to be charged with the full municipal coat of arms.
The first coat of arms of Ceutí was prescribed by Decree No. 1,049,
adopted on 13 April 1972 by the Spanish Government and published on 25
April 1972 in the Spanish official gazette, no. 99, p. 7,285 (text).
The coat of arms, which was validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Argent an eagle sable on sea waves azure and argent ensigned by a fleur-de-lis azure. The shield surmounted by a Count's coronet.
Ivan Sache, 4 May 2015