Last modified: 2016-04-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: puerto lumbreras |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Puerto Lumbreras - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 May 2015
The municipality of Puerto Lumbreras (14,610 inhabitants in 2014; 33,800 ha; unofficial website) is located in the south-west of the Region of Murcia, on the border with Andalusia (Province of Almería), 80 km of Murcia. The municipality of Puerto Lumbreras was established on 7 February 1958, separating from Lorca.
Puerto Lumbreras emerged near the Moorish castle of Nogalte, which
dominates river Rambla Nogalte, and, together with the castle of
Lorca, watched the border with the Kingdom of Granada. Visual contact
was possible with the towers of Torrecila and La Hoya. After the
Reconquest, Puerto Lumbreras appears to have lacked permanent
population until the 17th century.
Puerto Lumbreras is named for its geographical location between the mountain ranges (puerto, "a gate") of Sierra de Enmedio and Lomas del Cabezo, forming a natural passage between Lorca and Huércal-Overa.
The origin of Lumbreras is less straightforward, maybe the lights (lumbres) used for the communication between defensive towers, or alumbres, the wells used to pick up underground water.
Ivan Sache, 9 May 2015
The flag of Puerto Lumbreras (photo) is prescribed by Decree No. 37, adopted
on 26 May 1999 by the Government of the Region of Murcia and published
on 1 July 1999 in the official gazette of the Region of Murcia, No.
149, p. 7,975 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: On the flag appears in the middle the municipal coat of arms prescribed by Decree No. 1,282 of 5 May 1966 (Spanish official gazette, No. 129, 31 May 1966) as "Per pale, 1. Azure a tower or ensigned with a child's bust crowned surrounded by a key or and a sword of the same, 2. Argent an almond tree vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown."
The flag is vertically divided in the middle. The right part is crimson red, the colour of the flag and banner of Lorca, documented since 1547, recalling the connection with that town for seven centuries. The other part is white, which is an heraldic symbol of integrity, firmness, vigilance and triumph.
The coat of arms of Puerto Lumbreras is prescribed by Decree No.
1,282, adopted on 5 May 1966 by the Spanish government and published
on 31 May 1966 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 125, p. 6,800 (text).
The coat of arms, which was validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure a tower or ensigned with a child's bust crowned surrounded by a key or and a sword of the same, 2. Argent an almond tree vert. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.
Ivan Sache, 9 May 2015