Last modified: 2016-04-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: cervatos de la cueza |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cervatos de la Cueza - Image by Ivan Sache, 16 February 2015
The municipality of Cervatos de la Cueza (300 inhabitants in 2014; 7,146 ha; municipal website) is located in the south-west of the Province of Palencia, 20 km of Carrión de los Condes and 40 km of Palencia. The municipality is made of the villages of Cervatos de la Cueza, Calzadilla de la Cueza (52 inh.) and Quintanilla de la Cueza (34 inh.). Here, cueza means "a trough", referring to the local topography.
Cervatos de la Cueza is the seat of the San Martín Museum House, the small birth house of Captain Juan de San Martín (presentation), the father of General José de San Martín (1778-1850), the Liberator of Argentina, Chile and Peru. The house was proclaimed a
Monument of Cultural Interest by Decree No. 8, adopted on 13 January
2000 by the Government of Castilla y León and published on 19 January
2000 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 12, pp. 260-261 (text).
The St. Michael church keeps relics brought back from Rome by Cervatos-born Andrés Pérez del Cabo, Bishop of Ciudad Rodrigo from 1568 to 1583.
Calzadilla de la Cueza was mentioned for the first time in 984, as
Calzatella, in a donation made by García Gómez, Count of Saldaña. The village is located on a branch of the Way of St. James, which was established on the remains of the Roman Via Aquitana.
Quintanilla de la Cueza has kept remains from the Tejada Roman villa (2nd-3rd century), excavated in the 1970s. In spite of medieval sacks, the villa has kept mosaics featuring geometric, vegetal and figurative elements, and one of the best preserved in Spain hypocausts (system of underfloor heating with hot air). The site was proclaimed an Archaeologic Zone of Cultural Interest by Decree No. 157, adopted on 13 June 1996 by the Government of Castilla y León and published on 19 June 1996 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 117 (text).
Ivan Sache, 16 February 2015
The flag of Cervatos de la Cueza is prescribed by a Decree adopted on
25 March 2014 by the Municipal Council (the 5 present out of the 7
members of the Council approved the Decree), signed on 29 July 2014 by
the Mayor, and published on 31 October 2014 in the official gazette of
Castilla y León, No. 130 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3, vertically divided in three equal stripes; blue at hoist and at fly, white in the middle, with the municipal coat of arms, in full colours, in the central stripe.
The coat of arms of Cervatos de la Cueza, adopted on 22 September 1982
by the Municipal Council and validated by the Royal Academy of
History, is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 13 December 1985 by the
Government of Castilla y León and published on 16 January 1986 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 5 (text).
The coat of arms is not described in the decree.
The coat of arms is "Azure two stags per pale. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed." The stags make the arms canting, cervato meaning "a brocket" (young stag).
Ivan Sache, 16 February 2015