This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pino del Río (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-03-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: pino del río |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Pino del Río

The municipality of Pino del Río (233 inhabitants in 2009; 5,200 ha; municipal website) is located i80 km from Palencia.
Pino del Río was probably named for a height (Latin, pinnus; Spanish, peña) rather than for a pine (Latin, pinus; Spanish, pino). The village was mentioned for the first time in 1250, as Piuno, in the Becerro de las Presentaciones charter of the town of León. "del Río" recalls that the village is located on the banks of river (río) Carrión.

Ivan Sache, 29 January 2011

Symbols of Pino del Río

The flag and arms of Pino del Río are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 27 April 2002 by the Municipal Council, signed on the same day by the Mayor, and published on 20 May 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 95, p. 6,610 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag with proportions 1:1.5, green with the municipal coat of arms in full colors in the middle.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Gules a pine eradicated proper, 1b. Vert an obelisk argent, 2. A fish argent on waves argent and azure. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

The obelisk represents the 45-m high concrete obelisk built in the upper part of the village by an emigrant as a tribute to his wife (photo).

Ivan Sache, 29 January 2011