This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Vertavillo (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-04-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: vertavillo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Vertavillo - Image by "Asqueladd" (Wikimedia Commons), 10 March 2015

See also:

Presentation of Vertavillo

The municipality of Vertavillo (201 inhabitants in 2014; 5,736 ha) is located in the extreme south of the Province of Palencia, on the border with the Province of Valladolid, 40 km of Palencia.

Vertavillo was first mentioned, as Bretauello, in a privilege granted in 1141 by King Alfonso VII. The name of the village was subsequently written Bretauiello, for instance in the Becerro de las Behetrías de Castilla (14th century). The name was changed to Bertauello in the middle of the 15th century; the initial "B" was changed to "V"at the same period; the dual use of Bertavillo and Vertavillo was perpetuated for long.
Vertavillo was granted the title of villa by Charles I on 20 April 1537, separating from Baltanás. The village of Renedo de la Vega de Cerrato was deserted in 1654; its territory was shared between Vertavillo and Castrillo de Onielo.
[Estudio documentado de la villa de Vertavillo, by Gregorio Sánchez Doncel, Publicaciones de la Institución Tello Télez de Meneses, 1950 , 2:63-132]P>

Vertavillo is the birth place of the former (1986-1992) professional cyclist Jesús Cruz Martín Pérez (b. 1963), aka "El Pantera", winner of the 3rd stage (Seville-Jaén, 292 km) in the Vuelta a España 1991.

Ivan Sache, 10 March 2015

Symbols of Vertavillo

The flag and arms of Vertavillo are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 23 May 2014 by the Municipal Council, signed on 30 May 2014 by the Mayor, and published on 6 June 2014 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 107, p. 40,081 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: In dimensions 3:2, tierced at hoist. On the purple panel at fly, placed in the middle, the municipal coat of arms in full colours. The third at hoist horizontally divided into nine stripes: red (gules), blue (azure), yellow (or or) and purple in the upper part, purple, yellow (or), blue (azure) and red (gules) in the lower part, and white (argent) in the central part, of four-fold height, charged with a red (gules) cross of the Military Order of St. James, superimposed in the middle with a white (argent) scallop placed horizontally.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Per pale, 1. Gules a castle or masoned sable, 2a. Vert a bunch of spikes or, 2b. Argent a grapevine vert fructed of the same. The shield surmounted with a Spanish Royal crown.

The coat of arms is a "rehabilitation" of the arms shown on the pillory that was erected when the title of villa was granted to Vertavillo.
[Diario Palentino, 5 August 2014]

Ivan Sache, 10 March 2015