This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Villalcázar de Sirga (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2017-01-08 by ivan sache
Keywords: villalcázar de sirga |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Villalcázar de Sirga

The municipality of Villalcázar de Sirga ((158 inhabitants in 2015 - alcazareños; 2,541 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of the Province of Palencia, 40 km north of Palencia.

Villalcázar de Sirga is named for the Latin word villa, "an estate", and the Arab word quars, "a fortress". camino de sirga, lit. "access part / tow-path" was the name of the old Way of St. James; the village was documented in 1069 as Villasirga.
The County of Villalcázar de Sirga was erected in 1661 for the Bishop of Palencia.

The St. Mary the White church was the seat of one of the 28 commahderies established by the Order of the Temple in the Kingdom of Castile (according to the 1307 census), and the unique in the Templar Province of Palencia. The church keeps several works of art. In December 2011, the parish priest incidentally found out ten choir books containing Gregorian music and celebration schedules; dated to the 16th century, the parchments are richly decorated with Mozarabic, red and black initial letters. The priest also found out a Roman breviary printed in 1782 in Madrid by the Royal Printer, Joaquín Ybarra; the book was illustrated by the engraver Joaquín Ballester, after paintings by Mariano Salvador de Maella. Kept in a locker set up in an arch of the old St. James' chapel, the books were preserved from degradation; the village's elder confirmed that lost choir books were p)art of the local collective imaginary.
[El Mundo, 16 December 2011]

Ivan Sache, 13 December 2016

Symbols of Villalcázar de Sirga

The flag and arms of Villalcázar de Sirga are prescribed by an Agreement adopted on 29 December 2015 by the Municipal Council, signed on 12 January 2016 by the Mayor and published on 16 February 2016 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 31, p. 6,869 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 2:3. Blue at fly; tierced at hoist, white; the municipal coat of arms in full colours.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure two crosses flory or in pale, 2. Argent a castle proper masoned and port and windows sable in chief a Greek cross patty gules in base a crescent reverted azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown.

Ivan Sache, 13 December 2016