This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ramales de la Victoria (Municipality, Cantabria, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-02-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: ramales de la victoria |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Ramales de la Victoria - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 February 2007

See also:

Presentation of Ramales de la Victoria

The municipality of Ramales de la Victoria (2,242 inhabitants in 2003; 3,440 sq. km; municipal website) is located in eastern Cantabria, 60 km of Santander and close to the border with the Basque Country. The municipalities is made of two main settlements, Ramales (1,857 inh.) and Gibaja (385 inh.).
Ramales (lit., "ramifications") is named for the confluence of brooks Asón and Gándara on the one hand and Calera and Carranza on the other hand. De la Victoria (lit., "Of the Victory") recalls the Battle of Guardamino (13 May 1839), during which the Liberal General Espartero defeated the Carlist army commanded by General Maroto, which ended the first Carlist War.

The municipal territory was already settled in the prehistoric times; human remains have been found in the Covalanas, Mirón, Cullalver and Haza caves and in the prehistoric sites of the valley of Carranza. Ramales has one of the most significant series of cave paintings in Cantabria. The village of Ramales most probably emerged from a Roman villa and its name was recorded for the first time in 1210. In the Middle Ages, Gibaja, Ojébar, Ramales and Rasines formed the Juntas de Parayas, placed under the direct administration of the Crown. In 1499, the road connecting Burgos to Laredo was moved from Gibaja to Bolado and Ramales, which steered the development of Ramales. In the first half of the 17th century, the parish church was revamped and the wooden bridge from the early 16th century was rebuilt with stone. In 1822, the municipalities were set up during the "Liberal Triennium": the Junta de Parayas was divided into the two municipalities of Ramales and Rasines.

Ivan Sache, 14 February 2007

Flag of Ramales de la Victoria

The flag of Ramales de la Victoria was approved on 30 January 2007 by the Council of the Institutional Relations and European Affairs of the Government of Cantabria (Europa Press, 30 January 2007.
The flag is horizontally divided red-white-yellow.

Ivan Sache, 14 February 2007