This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Babilafuente (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: babilafuente |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Babilafuente - Image by "Victobabilafuente" (Wikimedia Commons), 8 January 2014

See also:

Presentation of Babilafuente

The municipality of Babilafuente (918 inhabitants in 2012; 2,260 ha; unofficial website) is located in the northeast of the Salamanca Province, 20 km from Salamanca.

Babilafuente was mentioned for the first time on a donation dated 3 May 1215, kept in the archives of the Salamanca cathedral, by which Sancha Gómez sold to the Dean of Salamanca the Vaguilafointe estate; the name of the village was subsequently written Baguilafuont (1216), Baguila Fonte (12244, 1229), Baguila Fuente (1281), and eventually Babilafuente (1494, 1496).
A document dated 1223 lists the village as a villa, a title probably granted by the king of the time, part of the Cuarto (administrative division) of Valdevilloria. The village was subsequently sold to Rodrigo Maldonado, listed as the the lord of Babilafuente and Avedillo. In 1523, Charles V sold Babilafuente to Alonso de Acevedo y Zúñiga.
The healing properties of the water pouring from the Babilafuente fountain were described in 1752 by Diego de Torres y Villarroel (Noticia de las virtudes medicinales de las aguas minerales de la Fuente del Caño de Babilafuente). The water was officially recognized as being beneficial to the general public in 1955. The village is known by the dictum Babilafuente buen agua y buena gente (Babilafuente, Good Water and Good People).

Babilafuente is the birth place of Antonio Corrionero de Babilafuente (biography), Bishop of Almería from 1558 to 1570. Corrionero studied at the Salamanca University and became a famous predicator at the Zamora cathedral. He was among the theologians who travelled with King Philip II to England, in an attempt to stop the spread of Protestantism and to restore the Roman Catholic religion. Corrionero attended in 1561 to the third and last session of the Council of Trento; he was elected on 20 July 1562 among the nine fathers commissioned to write the canons and doctrine of the mass celebration.

Ivan Sache, 8 January 2014

Symbols of Babilafuente

The flag of Babilafuente (photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.

Ivan Sache, 8 January 2014