Last modified: 2015-01-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: paradinas de san juan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Paradinas de San Juan, left, as used, right, as prescribed - Images by Ivan Sache, 18 February 2014
The municipality of Paradinas de San Juan (501 inhabitants in 2009; 3,563 ha) is located in the east of Salamanca Province, on the border with Portugal, 50 km from Salamanca.
Paradinas de San Juan was an outpost of the Christian reconquest. In 1140, King of Castile Alfonso VIII transferred the village to the Order of St. John, therefore "San Juan" in the village's name. In 1183, Alfonso VIII became reconciled with Fernando II of León in the village's palace, the official peace being subsequently signed in Castronuño.
Ivan Sache, 25 January 2011
The flag and arms of Paradinas de San Juan, designed by Instituto
de Heráldica y Vexilología Municipal Borbone", are prescribed by a
Decree adopted on 3 December 2001 by the Municipal Council (four
approved, two abstained), signed by the Mayor on 24 April 2002 and
published on 4 September 2002 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. No. 171, p. 11,558 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, yellow with a red saltire of width 1/5 of the flag's hoist. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Vert a spike or, 2. Or a milk cow sable, a bordure gules eight Crosses of the Order of St. John argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown or.
Although prescribed in proportions 1:1, the flag is used in proportions 2:3 (photo, Town Hall).
Ivan Sache, 18 February 2014