Last modified: 2016-04-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: la vídola |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of La Vídola - Image by "Pastranec" (Enciclopedia Libre Universal en Español), 9 May 2011
The municipality of La Vídola (149 inhabitants in 2010; 2,964 ha; unofficial website) is located in the northwest of the Province of Salamanca, 90 km from Salamanca.
La Vídola was known in the early 17th century as La Vídula or Bídula, a very old toponym of unknown meaning. The local tradition claims that the village is named for a card games known as pídola often played by the local marquis in his manor. In the first half of the 15th century, La Vídola belonged to the St. Bartholomew College in Salamanca, being its main source of income.
Ivan Sache, 9 May 2011
The flag of La Vídola is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 10 February
1995 by the Salamanca Provincial Government, signed on 20 February 1995 by the President
of the Government, and published on 2 March 1995 in
the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 43 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, gyronny of eight pieces red and white. In the center of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms of La Vídola, in full colors and surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The coat of arms of La Vídola (description) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 22
October 1993 by the Salamanca Provincial Government, signed by the
President of the Government on 20 December 1993 and published on 11
January 1994 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 6 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure four bends argent, 2. Azure a vase argent with lilies of the same. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.
The arms were designed by Salvador Llopis Llopis, Municipal Archivist of Salamanca (commissioned in 24 March 1993 by the municipality; proposal dated 9 July 1993). The dexter part represents the St. Bartholomew College while the sinister part represents the Chapter of the Salamanca cathedral.
The Royal Academy of History found the proposed coat of arms "fully
acceptable", being simple and harmonic.
The arms of the St. Bartholomew College in Salamanca, featured in the 1st quarter of the shield, are those of Bishop Anaya, the college's founder.
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia, 1995, 192, 2: 350]
Diego de Anaya Maldonado (1357-1437) was Bishop of Tuy (1385), Orense (1390), Salamanca (1392), and Cuenca (1407), Archbishop of Seville
(1418-1431, 1435-1437), and President of the Council of Castile
Colegio Major San Bartolomé (aka Colegio Mayor de Anaya / Colegio Viejo) was established in 1401 within the University of Salamanca. It was the model of the five Colegios Mayores subsequently established in Spain: Cuenca, Oviedo, Fonseca (Salamanca), Santa Cruz de Valladolid and San Ildefonso de Alcalá, and of the Colegios Mayores founded in Spanish America.
Suppressed in 1798, the Colegio Viejo was briefly re-established in 1840 as Colegio Cientifico. The historical building is today the seat of the Faculty of Philology of the University of Salamanca.
Colegio Major San Bartolomé was re-founded by Decree of 19 February 1942 as Residencia Universitaria San Bartolomé; its historical name was restored on 30 November 2011. The student's residence is located in a new building located close to Miguel de Unamuno Campus.
[College official website]
Ivan Sache, 16 March 2015mailme.html