Last modified: 2015-11-19 by ivan sache
Keywords: el garrobo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of El Garrobo - Image from the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 29 May 2014
The municipality of El Garrobo (774 inhabitants in 2014; 4,505 ha; municipal website) is located 40 km north-west of Seville.
El Garrobo was already settled in the Chalcolithic period, as evidenced by the Toril dolmen and the Cabeza del Moro tumulus. However, the permanent settlement probably dates back to the Visigothic period. The village of El Garrobo was established in 1500 by a Royal privilege, separating from El Castillo de las Guardas. Burned down by the French in 1810, the village was abandoned by its inhabitants and subsequently rebuilt.
Ivan Sache, 29 May 2014
The flag and arms of El Garrobo (municipal website), adopted on 3 February 1994 by the Municipal Council and corrected on 8 September 1995 as suggested by the Royal Academy of Córdoba, are prescribed by Decree No. 265, adopted on 28 May 1996 by the Government of Andalusia and published on 27 July 1996 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 86, pp. 8,579-8,580 (text). This was confirmed by a Decree adopted on 30 November 2004 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 20 December 2004 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 246, pp. 28,986-29,002 (text).
The symbols are prescribed as follows:
Flag: Rectangular, in proportions 11 x 18, made of two parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist. The first, yellow, and the second, green, semé with yellow carobs.
Coat of arms: Or a carob tree eradicated vert the trunk proper fructed or. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
Official documents, at least since 1874, were stamped with an ink seal featuring a tree, with, since 1936, a hare at its sinister base. In 1986, Juan José Antequera Luengo was commissioned to design arms based on the old seal. The symbols were proposed on 5 November 1993. The hare was dropped from the shield, being considered as an arbitrary addition found in the arms of the neighbouring municipality of Gerena.
The Royal Academy of Córdoba suggested minor terminological amendments to the blazon: escudo de un solo cuartel (shield with a single quarter) was suppressed, and the description of the tree was completed as arrancado (eradicated) and fustado de su color (with the trunk proper).
The carob tree (algarrobo) makes the arms canting.
[Juan José Antequera Luengo. Heráldica oficial de la provincia de Sevilla]
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 29 May 2014