This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

La Campana (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2016-03-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: la campana |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of La Campana - Image from the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 4 June 2014

See also:

Presentation of La Campana

The municipality of La Campana (5,467 inhabitants in 2008; 12,609 ha; municipal website), is located 60 km east of Seville.
The original village of La Campana dates back to 1412, when the King of Castile sold the domain of La Campana to Micer Bartolomé de Bocanegra, who founded a settlement of c. 50 inhabitants. In 1559, Juana, Infante of Castile and Princess of Portugal, sold the domain to Fadrique Enríquez de Ribera. The domain was eventually incorporated, in the 19th century, into the Duchy of Alba.

Ivan Sache, 15 July 2009

Symbols of La Campana

The flag and arms of La Campana, adopted on 4 April 2005 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 12 May 2005 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 19 May 2005 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 2 June 2005 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 106, pp. 37-38 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular with a relation 3:2, a Bordeaux red background (Pantone 194c). In the center the municipal coat of arms
Coat of arms: Gules, a bell or with melena and clapper, surmounted by three leaves of olive tree.

The bell (campana) is the traditional heraldic representation of the municipality. The olive leaves symbolize the significance of the natural environment for the life of the town.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Sevilla (PDF file)]

Ivan Sache, 15 July 2009

Former coat of arms of La Campana

The former coat of arms of La Campina is "On a field gules (meaning the war), a bell or with its melena, clapper and rope placed in the chief of the shield, in the base of the same a Napoleonic French helmet, surmonting two rifles equiped with a bayonet and a sword, all the elements argent and or fimbriated sable."
The oldest known coat of arms of La Campina appears on a seal of a book of account dated 1825, as a shield with a bell. The next known seal of the village, dated 1887, has the swords, bayonets and French helmet added. The bell recalls the bell used either to warn the villagers of the Moorish raids or to call them to the mass in a small chapel that predated the parish chruch. However, Joaquín Caro Naranjo believes that the name of La Campana was simply derived from the name of the area, La Campaña (The Countryside). The French helmet and weapons recall either the work done in the town in 1808 by 800 French prisoners from the Battle of Bailén or the resistance of the villagers to a French attack on 20 January 1810. Joaquín Caro Naranjo says that more research is needed on this topic.
[Municipal website]

Ivan Sache, 15 July 2009