Last modified: 2016-12-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: pedrera |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Pedrera - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 April 2016
The municipality of Pedrera (5,328 inhabitants in 2015; 6,064 ha; municipal website), is located 110 km south-east of Seville.
Pedrera was known to the Phoenicians as Barba and to the Romans as Ilipula Minor. Maintained as a small town during the Visigothic period, Pedrera became during the Muslim period a farm depending of Estepa.
After the Christian Reconquest, the town was renamed Pedrera, from piedra, "a stone"; in the Middle Ages, the stone quarries located near the town were used to produce balls for the early artillery devices. Another tradition reports that the stones extracted from the quarry were used to restore the castle of Estepa and to pave the road connecting Estepa to Seville.
Pedrera was granted the status of villa in 1557; the town belonged to the Marquisate of Estepa until the suppression of the feudal system in 1837.
Ivan Sache, 7 April 2016
The flag of Pedrera is in proportions 9:14, diagonally divided white-green by a thin black stripe. The municipal coat of arms is placed in the center of the flag.
The width of the black stripe is 1/10 of the flag's hoist. The colors are given (RGB) as:
White 255 255 255 Green 0 175 0 Black 0 0 0
White represents the stone extracted from the local quarries.
Green refers to the vegetation, and, especially, to olive.
Black is the symbol of the cannon balls produced in Pedrera.
Black and green are also the colours used by most of the associations and sports club of the municipality.
The flag, designed by Julio Pineda, was elected in a public contest (video; short version, long version). Proposal No. 1 received 518 votes while proposal No. 2 received 490 votes. The two finalist designs were selected from 11 proposals by a jury composed of the Mayor, Antonio Nogales Monedero (IU-LV-CA); of the Secretary, the historian Adela Estudillo; of the spokesperson of the PSOE, Fernando Fernández; of the Councillor of Culture, Dolores Gordillo; of José Ramón Ramos, graduated in Arts; and of Francisco Manuel Garc’a Farrán, expert in vexillology and heraldry.
The flag has not been officially registered yet.
[20Minutos, 14 March 2016]
Proposals could be submitted from 1 November 2015 to 1 February 2016. The rules of the contest (text) fixed the proportions of the flag to 9:14. All citizens of Pedrera aged 16 or older could vote.
Rejected proposal - Image by Ivan Sache, 7 April 2016
Proposal No. 2, designed by Manuel Castillo, is horizontally divided green-white-blue. In the middle of the flag is placed a white disk, overlapping the green and blue stripes, charged with the municipal coat of arms surrounded by pairs of gray rings.
Green represents agriculture, the olive trees and the work of farmers.
White represents stone. The upper part of the white disk represents the mountains.
Blue represents water, the probable origin of the first human settlement in Pedrera. The lower part of the white disk represents a water tank.
The rings represent union, capacity to struggle, and solidarity.
The coat of arms of Pedrera is "Or a heap of 14 spherical cannonballs sable ensigned by a cupola made of four columns supporting a half-orange shaped vault azure windows argent fimbriated sable surrounded by two daggers curved like Arabic gum’as. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed".
The cannonballs recall the stone quarries of Pedrera, as does the cupola, representing the most significant monuments of Estepa and its district erected with the Pedrera stones. The daggers recalls that the town, once located on the border, was threatened on its two flanks by the Moors.
A similar shield, but without crown, has been used on the municipal seals since 1885.
Ivan Sache, 7 April 2016