This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Sanlúcar la Mayor (Municipality, Andalusia, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-11-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: sanlúcar la mayor |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Sanlúcar la Mayor - Image from the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 28 May 2014

See also:

Presentation of Sanlúcar la Mayor

The municipality of Sanlúcar la Mayor (12,485 inhabitants in 2008; 13,541 ha; municipal website), is located 20 km west of Seville.

Remains of a necropolis from the Bronze Age excavated near Sanlúcar are shown in the Provincial Archeological Museum of Seville. The first significant, permanent settlement was set up by the Turdetani and named Arae Hesperi or Hesperia, after a temple dedicated to Hesperos, the personification of planet Venus in its evening appearance. The Roman colonists suppressed the Iberian settlement and built the new colony of Lucus Solis.
The Moors transformed the old settlement into a wealthy agricultural center. In the 11th century, the geographer Al-Idrisi described the place as "covered with olive and fig trees" and settled by "eight flourishing estates with several baths and beautiful buildings". The Moors revamped the network of fortresses built by the Romans to protect Seville; the fortress of Hisn Saluca, built in 1189, formed the nucleus of the new, fortified village, indeed a citadel that was surrounded by a wall defended by 46 square or octogonal towers and three main gates. After the reconquest of Seville on 23 November 1248, the Catholic Monarchs attacked the surrounding fortified towns; on 28 June 1252, the troops commanded by Fernán Gutierrez, Grand Master of the Order of Saint James, entered Sanlúcar la Mayor. The next day, St. Peter's Day, a mass was celebrated in the mosque, shortly consecrated as a church. However, the mosque was not significantly transformed until severely damaged by an earthquake in 1359.

Ivan Sache, 14 July 2009

Symbols of Sanlúcar la Mayor

The flag and arms of Sanlúcar la Mayor, adopted on 18 September 2006 by the Municipal Council and submitted on 29 September 2006 to the Directorate General of the Local Administration, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 17 October 2006 by the Directorate General of the Local Administration and published on 30 October 2006 in the official gazette of Andalusia, No. 210, pp. 53-54 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag, in proportions 1:2, made of three equal horizontal stripes parallel to each other and perpendicular to the hoist, the first celestial blue (Pantone 7457c), the second white and the third celestial blue (Pantone 7457c). In the middle and overall the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Shield in Spanish shape. Azure six wild olive trees vert per fess with the trunk sable surmounted in chief by a sun radiant or; surrounded dexter and sinister by two columns argent with base, shaft and capital surrounded by a ribbon light azure barruly argent. A bordure or with the motto "Solucar id est lucus solis" in letters sable. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown open.

The sun recalls the Roman town of Solia. The trees refer to the etymology of the the town's name, from locus solis, "the sun wood". The crowned columns allude to the old temples, castles and fortresses. The historical motto of the town reads "Sanlúcar is the wood of the sun".
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Sevilla (PDF file)]

Ivan Sache, 14 July 2009

Former flag of Sanlúcar la Mayor


Former flag of Sanlúcar la Mayor - Image from the Símbolos de Sevilla website, 28 May 2014

Beofre the adoption of the coat of arms, the municipality used a flag charged with the former emblem of the town, from which the coat of arms was subsequently derived.
[Símbolos de las Entidades Locales de Andalucía. Sevilla (PDF file)]

Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 28 May 2014