Last modified: 2015-01-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: rapariegos | segovia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Rapariegos - Image by Ivan Sache, 14 December 2010
The municipality of Rapariegos (244 inhabitants in 2009; 2,452 ha; unofficial webpage) is located in the west of Segovia Province, on the border with Ávila Province, 60 km from Segovia.
Rapariegos was listed in the 13th century as Papariegos, which is most
probably a transcription mistake.
The St. Clare Royal Monastery, still active, is said to have been founded in Rapariegos by two nuns sent by St. Clare and St. Francis of Assisi; the convent was indeed founded in the 13th century (1240/1270). Nuns from Rapariegos founded several other convents in the Segovia and Valladolid Provinces.
The chapel of the Christ of Moralejilla was built in Mudéjar (9th-10th centuries) and Romanesque (10th-11th centuries) styles in the village of Moraleja de Santa Cruz, for long disappeared (17th-18th centuries); recent findings indicate that the chapel was built on the remains of a Visigothic abbey church (5th-6th centuries).
Ivan Sache, 14 December 2010
The flag (image) and arms (image) of Rapariegos are prescribed by a Decree adopted on
13 May 2005 by the Municipal Council, signed on 18 May by the Mayor,
2005 and published on 19 July 2005 in the official gazette of Castile
and León, No. 139, p. 12,798 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Quadrangular panel, with proportions 1:1, horizontally divided into three equal parts, red on top, yellow in the middle and blue on bottom, in the center the municipal coat of arms in full colors surmounted by a golden Royal crown.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Azure a convent or roofed gules, 2. Gules a bend argent in chief a bunch of grapes or leaved vert in base an elm or. (The shield surmounted by the Royal Spanish crown).
Ivan Sache, 14 Decmeber 2010