This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Valverde del Majano (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: valverde del majano | segovia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Valverde del Majano, left, as prescribed, right, as used - Images by Ivan Sache, 17 March 2011

See also:

Presentation of Valverde del Majano

The municipality of Valverde del Majano (1,027 inhabitants in 2010; 3,100 ha; municipal website) is located 10 km from Segovia.

Valverde del Majano is named for its geographical location, a green (verde) valley (valle); a majano is "a heap of stones in a field". Probably already settled in the Roman and Visigothic times, Valverde was swiftly resettled in 1088, due to its close location to Segovia. The village was mentioned for the first time in charts from the 12th century, as Valle Verde.

Valverde is the birth place of the folklorist and musicologist Agapito Marazuela (1891-1983), who spent his life preserving the Spanish musical heritage, compiling popular song and melodies for tabor and dulzaina (Cancionero de Castilla, 1932-1981; Cancionero segoviano, 1964); of the industrial Nicomedes García (1901-1989), founder of the beverage brands "Anis Castellana" and "Whisky DYC", of the bus company "Auto Res" and of the shipping company "Nicomedes García", but mostly known as the founder of the "Azor" advertizing company, designer of the famous Osborne's Bull; of the orientalist and philologist Francisco García Ayuso (1835-1897), the Spanish main expert in Semitic languages in the 19th century; and of of Manuel Frutos Huerta (1811-?), who founded in 1835 in New Zealand the Paniora (from españoles, "Spaniards") Maori lineage, today with a membership of 16,000; on 28 December 2010, the towns of Valverde del Majano and Gisborne set up a town partnership among the most distant ones in the world.

Ivan Sache, 17 March 2011

Symbols of Valverde del Majano

The flag and arms of Valverde del Majano are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 2 March 1999 by the Municipal Council, signed on 27 March 1999 by the Mayor, and published on 13 April 1999 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 68, p. 3,990 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Quadrangular flag, with proportions 1:1, green with the municipal coat of arms in full colors in the middle.
Coat of arms: Tierced per pall, 1. Or a statue of Nuestra Señora de la Aparecida [photos] proper, 2. Gules a two-staged aqueduct argent masoned sable over ten rocks argent [The Segovia Roman aqueduct], 3. Argent a spike proper over waves azure and argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal Spanish crown.

The flag (photos) used during the visit of the inhabitants of Valverde del Majano to New Zealand has rectangular proportions instead of the prescribed square proportions. So has the flag hoisted on the balcony of the Town Hall during the local music festival (photos).

Ivan Sache, 17 March 2011