This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Buenavista del Norte (Municipality, Canary Islands, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-02-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: buenavista del norte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Municipal flag]

Flag of Buenavista del Norte - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 19 April 2007

See also:

Symbols of Buenavista del Norte

The flag of Buenavista del Norte, in unofficial use, is vertically divided green-white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.

The coat of arms of Buenavista del Norte is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 7 March 1986 by the Government of the Canary Islands and published on 10 March 1986 in the official gazette of the Canary Islands, No. 29, p. 573 (text).
The coat of arms, which was validated by the Royal Academy of History, is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Azure a lighthouse proper, 1b. Vert two grasshoppers or passant per pale, 2. Argent a cactus vert. A bordure gules inscribed "DAUTE ES MI BANDO - TENERIFE, MI ISLA - BUENAVISTA, MI NOMBRE". The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), the 1st quarter is blue for the sea and the sky, which, according to Viera y Clavigo [1731-1813], are the "loyal companions of the village", with the lighthouse of Punta de Teno. The 2nd quarter is green for the fertility of the area and village's namesake, with two grasshoppers reminding a legend that claims that locusts had devastated the whole island in 1659, except Buenavista that was preserved by a miracle. In the 3rd quarter, the cactus recalls the huge bush that once thrived in the village, covering an area of 148 sq. m. The red bordure represents the soil of El Palmar region. The inscription "Daute es mi bando" refers to indigenous kingdom or party (menceyato) of Daute that once existed on the territory of Buenavista.

Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 10 February 2014