Last modified: 2015-02-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: tazacorte |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Tazacorte - Image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 February 2014
The flag of Tazacorte is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 20 July 2000 by the Government of the Canary Islands and published on 7 August 2000 in the official gazette of the Canary Islands, No. 100, pp. 11,084-11,085 (text). The Municipal Council commissioned on 12 April 2000 the Heraldry Commission of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands to draft a flag proposal. The Commission submitted three proposals on 11 May 2000. However, the Municipal Council adopted on 1 June 2000 a proposal different from the three submissions by the Commission, which approved it on 9 June 2000, requiring the suppression of the yellow circle that surmonted the cross and the expicit statement of the arrangement of the bends and of the cross. The Municipal Council eventually accepted the modified design on 6 July 2000, as published on 16 June 2000 in the official gazette of the Santa Cruz de Tenerife Province, No. 72.
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular [...], one and a half longer than wide, blue. Divided by two stripes forming a saltire, the one, running from upper hoist to lower fly, red, the other, running from lower hoist to upper fly, green. In the middle, a superimposed, a yellow simple cross.
When the flag is charged with the municipal coat of arms, this should be placed in the middle of the flag, preferably, on both sides of the flag.
The rationale for the use of the colours is the following.
Blue: The symbol of the coastal and fishing character of the municipality.
Red: A reference to the field gules of the municipal coat of arms.
Green: The expression of the rural and agricultural character of the municipality.
Yellow: The representation of the sun, Tazacorte being the Spanish municipality with the highest number of sunny hours [3,500] per year.
The coat of arms of Tazacorte is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 18 February 1955 by the Spanish Government and published on 2 March 1955 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 61, p. 1,388 (text).
The coat of arms, validated by the Royal Academy of History, is not described in the Decree.
The coat of arms was modified by a Decree adopted on 17 January 1991 by the Government of the Canary Islands and published on 25 January 1991 in the official gazette of the Canary Islands, No. 11, p. 284 (text).
The coat of arms is still not described in the Decree. The modification was the inclusion of the Royal crown closed.
According to José Manuel Erbez (Banderas y escudos de Canarias, 2007; website), the coat of arms is "Per pale, 1. Gules a castle argent ensigned with the bust of a native warrior holding dexter an axe and sinister a key the whole surmounted by a crescent argent, 2. Or a Canarian native proper. Grafted in base, argent a banana tree proper. A bordure argent inscribed with "PRIMUS INTER PARES PRO PATRIA ET PRO LEGE SEMPER TAZACORTE" in letters sable. The shield surrounded by two branches of laurel. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The 1st and 2nd quarters represent the native heritage and the union with the Castilians after the conquest. The banana tree represents the agricultural resources of the municipality. The Latin motto reads "Tazacorte Always the First Among the Peers for Motherland and Law".
Dov Gutterman, Santiago Dotor, Klaus-Michael Schneider & Ivan Sache, 12 February 2014