Last modified: 2016-04-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: boecillo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Boecillo - Image by Ivan Sache, 24 May 2011
The municipality of Boecillo (3,686 inhabitants in 2010; 2,409 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of the Province of Valladolid, 15 km from Valladolid.
Boecillo was mentioned for the first time in 1156, when King Alfonso
VII transferred Monte de Boecillo - Puente Duero (Boecillo Mount -
Duero Bridge) to the Valladolid Council. The bridge over Duero was
rebuilt by the Catholic Monarchs.
The etymology of Boecillo refers either to boj, "boxwood", or bueyecillo, "a small ox" that used to drink water from the village's fountain every day.
Boecillo is the birth place of the lawyer and liberal statesman Germán Gamazo (1840-1901). Minister of Public Works and Transport (Fomento) in 1883, he suppressed the tax on railway transportation; Minister of the Overseas in 1885-1886, he abolished the patronato de las Antillas, which was a kind a hidden slavery; Minister of Economy in 1892-1894, his attempt to abolish the specific financial regime of Navarre caused the local people's uprising known as Gamazada.
Ivan Sache, 24 May 2011
The flag and arms (image) of Boecillo, adopted on 25 March 1988 by the
Municipal Council and validated by the Royal Academy of History, are
prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 January 1989 by the Government of
Castilla y León and published on 2 February 1989 in the official
gazette of Castilla y León, No. 23 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: With proportions 2:3, red. In the middle of the flag is placed the municipal coat of arms.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Or and gules [Valladolid], 2. Or a cross flory gules charged with five scallops argent on waves azure and argent. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 24 May 2011mailme.html