This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Montealegre de Campos (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-17 by ivan sache
Keywords: montealegre de campos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



See also:


Presentation of Montealegre de Campos

The municipality of Montealegre de Campos (150 inhabitants in 2009; 3,400 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of Valladolid Province, 35 km from Valladolid.

The castle of Montealegre, built in the 12th century, was mentioned for the first time in 1173, when Rodrígo Gutiérrez was appointed lord of Montealegre; together with the castles of Ampudia, Belmonte, Torremormojón, Medina de Rioseco, Mucientes and Trigueros, it formed the defence line of the southern border of the Kingdom of León. The castle was revamped in 1297 by Alfonso Tello Pérez de Meneses, appointed lord of Montealegre by King Alfonso VIII.
In the 13th century, the domain was transferred to the Order of Saint James, which granted a charter to the village in 1219. Further owners of Montealegre were the Albuquerque (14th century), who defended the castle against King of Castile Peter the Cruel in 1354, and the Manuel (15th-17th centuries). The Manuel family maintained in the town one of the most significant Jewish communities in the province. In 1626, Montealegre became a Marquisate, granted by King Philip IV to Martín de Rojas y Guzmán.

Ivan Sache, 26 November 2010


Symbols of Montealegre de Campos

The flag and arms of Montealegre de Campos are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 July 2007 by the Municipal Council, signed on 26 July 2007 by the Mayor, and published on 8 August 2007 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 154, p. 16,322 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Field of traditional crimson color, that is the color of the banner of the Community of Castilla y León. On this field the coat of arms of Montealegre.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules (red), the symbol of the rich men of Castile, Lords with pennant and cauldron, an arm armed argent holding a pennant and a caldron or. This means that the Lord had the power to raise warriors and to keep them with him, 2. Azure (blue), the symbols of the village: the castle and the fields, a tower argent surrounded in base by wheat spikes. The shield surmounted by the Royal Spanish Crown, the official symbol of the Kingdom and State according to Decree No. 105 of 9 May 1991 [Detailed description of the crown skipped].

Ivan Sache, 26 November 2010