Last modified: 2016-04-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: pozuelo de la orden |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Pozuelo de la Orden (60 inhabitants in 2014; 2,072 ha; presentation) is located in the northwest of the Province of Valladolid, on the border with the Province of Zamora, 50 km of Valladolid.
Pozuelo de la Orden was first mentioned, as Poćuelo de Campos, in a
document signed on 17 July 1049 by King of León Ferdinand II. The
document recalls that the area was granted to the León cathedral by
King Ordoño IV (957-960). Ruined by the Moors, the village was re-
established around 1010 by Muño Gudesteo, a vassal of Sancho Garcés, Count of Castile (d. 1017). The village was subsequently transferred to the Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, maybe in 1116 by Queen Urraca.
The castle of Pozuelo, of which nothing has subsisted, was listed in the Cabreros pact, signed on 7 September 1207 in Burgos between Castile and León. In 1591, Pozuelo counted 600 inhabitants, including 20 low-rank nobles (hidalgos), while villages of similar size used to count only 4, and 4 priests.
The altarpiece of the parish church of Pozuelo de la Orden, subsequently transferred to the St. Isidor collegiate church of León, was for long credited to the "Master of Pozuelo de la Orden", indeed a group of painters based in Toro (aka "Master of Toro"). Jesús María Parrado del Olmo (Andrés de Melgar en el retablo de Pozuelo de la Orden : las relaciones entre pintores en el medio castellano del primer tercio del siglo XVI, Boletín del Seminario de Estudios de Arte y Arqueologí:a, 1998, 64) has provided evidence that the work was painted in 1528-1531 by Lorenzo de Ávila, Antonio Vázquez and Andrés de Melgar, with the probable input of Giralte de Bruselas for the sculpted ornaments.
Ivan Sache, 1 March 2015
The flag and arms of Pozuelo de la Orden are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 1 December 2014 by the Municipal Council, signed on the
same day by the Mayor, and published on 5 December 2014 in the
official gazette of the Province of Valladolid, No. 282, p. 70 (text).
The symbols, which were designed by José Cubero Garrote, are described as follows:
Flag: Made of three horizontal stripes, red, blue and white, the blue stripe twice higher than the other ones. In the center, the town's coat of arms between the white and blue stripes.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Azure a lake argent with four waves sable flanked with six trees argent (poplar and acacia, in turn): two in chief (poplar and acacia), two on the flanks (acacia dexter, and poplar sinister), two in base (poplar and acacia). 2a. Gules a cross of St. John of Jerusalem argent, 2b. Argent a cross of St. James gules The shield surmounted with a Spanish Royal crown.
Ivan Sache, 1 March 2015mailme.html