Last modified: 2015-01-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: rueda |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Rueda - Image by Ivan Sache, 22 February 2014
The municipality of Rueda (1,416 inhabitants in 2012; 9,070 ha; unofficial blog) is located 40 km from Valladolid. The municipality is made of the town of Rueda and of the villages of Foncastín (134 inh.) and Torrecilla del Valle (25 inh.).
Rueda was founded in the Roman period, c. 380-420. The town was mentioned, as Roda, in a chronicle dating back to King Pelagius (8th century). Rueda belonged from 1349 onwards to Medina del Campo, keeping, however, several privileges. The town was eventually granted municipal status on 21 May 1636.
Rueda is mostly famous for its vineyards, probably already known to
the Romans. The Catholic Monarchs and Charles I favoured the
development of wine-growing in Rueda. The "wine fever" prompted the
Council of Castile to adopt in 1763 an edict restricting abusive
clearing to grow grapevine. The illegally planted grapevines were not
to be uprooted, but the vineyards were to be transformed into pastures
once all plants are dead. Since the villagers did not obey the edict,
the Council ordered in 1763 the uprooting of all the vineyards
illegally established in the neighbouring village of La Seca.
The Rueda protected designation (official website) was granted on 12 January 1980 by the Government of Castilla y León, being therefore the oldest in the Autonomous Community. The protected designation is regulated by a Decree adopted on 21 July 2008 and published on 4 August 2008 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 149, pp. 1,623-1,635 (text). The vineyards cover 12,932 ha (2013) scattered over 53 municipalities in Valladolid Province (93% of the total area), 17 in Segovia Province (6%), and 4 in Ávila Province (1%). The municipality of Rueda had 1,871 ha of vineyards registered in 2012, that is the 2nd biggest acreages after La Seca (3,036 ha). White wines represent 95% of the total area, the local Verdejo stock being planted on 85% of this area.
Ivan Sache, 22 February 2014
The flag of Rueda (photo) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 31 March 2011
by the Municipal Council, signed on 6 May 2011 by the Mayor, and
published on 20 May 2011 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 97, p. 39,096 (text).
The flag is described as follows:
Flag: Flag in proportions 2:3, tierced at hoist, on the green (or vert) panel at fly an eight-rayed wheel [rueda], white (or argent), the panel at hoist red (or gules), three castles yellow (or or), with three towers, crenelated, ports and windows blue (or azure), placed per pale.
The flag, designed by Félix Martínez Llorente, was validated in December 2010 by the Chronicler of Arms of Castilla y León, as "simple, distinctive, very beautiful and bright, and in very good compliance with the traditional usage in the region" (El Norte de Castilla, 5 May 2011).
The coat of arms of Rueda (image) is prescribed by a Decree adopted on 16 July
1986 by the Government of Castilla y León nd published on 4 August
1986 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 88 (text). The design of
the arms was modified according to the recommendations made by the
Royal Academy of History.
The coat of arms is described as follows:
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a three-towered castle or masoned sable port and windows azure (of Castile), 2. Vert, a wheel argent (as a straightforward evocation of the name of the place). The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Ivan Sache, 22 February 2014