Last modified: 2015-01-06 by ivan sache
Keywords: villanueva de duero | valladolid |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villanueva de Duero - Image by Eduardo Panizo Gómez (Vexilla Hispanica website), 23 December 2010
The municipality of Villanueva de Duero (1,193 inhabitants in 2009; 3,729 ha; municipal website) is located in the center of Valladolid Province, 20 km from Valladolid.
The name of Viilanueva de Duero appeared in 1630; formerly, the village was successively named Las Cabañuelas, Aldea Nueva (1109) and Aldeanueva de Aniago. In 1409, Juan Vázquez de Cepeda, Bishop of Segovia and Councillor of King Henry III, purchased Aniago and Aldeanueva from the Council of Valladolid to establish there an Augustinian monastery. The monastery, later known as the Charterhouse of Our Lady of Aniago, would rule Villanueva until 1807. The treasures of the monastery (reliquary busts, a procession cross and several artworks) are kept in the Villanueva parish church.
Ivan Sache, 23 December 2010
The flag and arms of Villanueva de Duero, designed by Vicente Tocino
Letrado and Tomás Rodríguez Peñas, are prescribed by a Decree adopted
on 19 September 2005 by the Municipal Council (the Decree says that
six councillors approved the Decree, while José Manuel Díez Peláez and
Javier Rodríguez Bueno rejected it, the proposals having been
validated on 7 September 2005 by the Chronicler of Arms of Castile and
LeLeónon), signed on 28 September 2005 by the Mayor, and published on 25
November 2005 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 228, p.
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, made of a white panel with a white cross throughout fimbriated in blue, cantonned with a green pine in the lower hoist and upper fly rectangles and with a red house in the two other rectangles.
Coat of arms: Per pale, 1. Gules a town argent ensigned with a pine eradicated argent, 2. Argent a church gules masoned sable port and windows argent, grafted in base wavy azure and argent. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
Commissioned in November 2003, the
designers of the symbols found in the archives documents dated 21
November 1876 and sealed with a municipal seal; they did not found any
evidence of an older use of flag or coat of arms in the village.
In the coat of arms, the waves represent rivers Duero and Adaja, which water Villanueva. Gules represents Castile, the houses and the pine represent the town and its famous pinewoods. The church symbolizes the religious history of Villanueva, recalling the Carthusian monastery of Aniago.
On the flag, the cross recalls the monastery of Aniago while the blue fimbriation represents the rivers. The pines and the houses have the same meaning as on the coat of arms (El Norte de Castile, 3 January 2006).
Ivan Sache, 23 December 2010