Last modified: 2016-04-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: villalón de campos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Villalón de Campos - Image by Ivan Sache, 12 September 2015
The municipality of Villalón de Campos (1,733 inhabitants in 2013; 16,993 ha; municipal website) is located in the north of the Province of Valladolid, 70 km of Valladolid, on the border with the Province of Palencia.
Villalón de Campos was first mentioned in 1250, when King Ferdinand III the Saint granted a weekly market to the town, which has organized it every Saturday since then. From 1436 to the 18th century, a fair was organized every year for 46 days, from Ash Wednesday to Resurrection Sunday, making of Villalán a main trading place in Europe.
The pillory of Villalán, "the most salient in Spain" and a National Monument, was erected in 1523 in Gothic style by Rodrigo Alonso Pimentel, Count of Benavente. Of 10 m in height, the pillory recalls the pinnacles of the cathedral of Burgos. Nearby, the St. Michael church, "one of the most significant buildings in the province", was erected in the 13th-14th century in Gothic Mudéjar style.
Villalán is the cradle, together with Villadefrades and Guadilla de Rioseco, of the Villalán cheese, produced today with ewe milk by industrial dairies all over Spain. The old village's school has been transformed into the Cheese Museum ( website). A statue representing the woman who invented the Villalán cheese, designed by the Valladolid-based sculptor Jesús Trapote Medina, was inaugurated close to the pillory on 9 May 1998.
Ivan Sache, 12 September 2015
The flag of Villalón de Campos, hoisted in front of the Town Hall, is blue with the coat of arms of the town.
The coat of arms is "Argent an arm proper holding a feather azure. A bordure azure. The shield surmounted by a crown open".
On 9 September 2015, the PSOE group at the Municipal Council (opposition) appealed at the Government Subdelegation of Valladolid, claiming that the hoisting of the flag was illegal, since the coat of arms was never officially adopted by the Municipal Council.
[El Norte de Castilla, 9 September 2015]
Ivan Sache, 12 September 2015mailme.html