Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: belver de los montes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Belver de los Montes - Image by "Nethunter" (Wikimedia Commons), 30 March 2011
The municipality of Belver de los Montes (368 inhabitants in 2010; 6,855 ha; unofficial website) is located in the east of the Zamora Province, on the border with the Valladolid Province, 40 km from Zamora.
Belver de los Montes was built on the site of a Roman villa; several
artefacts were excavated, including scraps of ceramics, amphoras,
plates, jars and tiles, a column fragment, coins and, most important,
a marble woman's head found in 1985 and the only piece of that kind
ever found in the province.
Belver was mentioned for the first time in 940 in the charter granted to the Castañeda monastery by King Ramiro II. On 12 February 1140, Alfonso VII allowed a weekly market, set up beforehand in the neighboring village of Bustillo del Oro; the market tax was granted to the San Salvador monastery. The Belver Council was founded in 1208, while the village developed around the castle and the San Salvador monastery. Founded by Alfonso IX, the castle was transferred in 1211 to Martín, Bishop of Zamora. The castle was inhabited by Infant Juan Manuel "El Tuerto", murdered on 31 October 1326 in Toro upon order of Alfonso XI; afterwards, Count Alvar Núñez de Osorio, the king's favourite, was rewarded with the castle of Belver. Like Juan Manuel, the count set up a plot against the king and was murdered in 1328 in the castle by his vassal Ramiro Flores de Guzmán; the castle was transferred to Juan Fernández de Toval while Alfonso XI confiscated all the lands owned by the count in the area. The castle was nearly completely destroyed at the end of the 15th century.
Ivan Sache, 30 March 2011
The flag and arms of Belver de los Montes are prescribed by a Decree
adopted on 28 January 1998 by the Zamora Provincial Government, signed
on 6 February 1998 by the President of the Government, and published on
20 February 1998 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 35 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular with proportions 2:3, made of a diagonal stripe running from the lower hoist to the upper fly, blue fimbriated white, the triangle at hoist green and the triangle at fly red.
Coat of arms: Tierced per bend sinister, 1. Vert a holly oak or, 2. A bend sinister azure fimbriated argent, 3. Gules a castle or masoned sable. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
The flag is, therefore, a simplified banner of the municipal arms, charges omitted.
Ivan Sache, 30 March 2011