This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Peñausende (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: peñausende | zamora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Peñausende - Image by Alfonso Muñoz, 12 December 2010

See also:

Presentation of Peñausende

The municipality of Peñausende (502 inhabitants in 2009; 9,502 ha) is located in the south of Zamora Province, 30 km from Zamora.
Peñausende was probably resettled by King Alfonso III. In 1181, the village was granted to the Order of Saint James by King Ferdinand II.

Ivan Sache, 29 November 2010

Symbols of Peñausende

The flag and arms of Peñausende, designed by Vicente Tocino Letrado, are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 2 March 2005 by the Municipal Council, signed on 29 January 2007 by the Mayor, and published on 7 February 2007 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 27, p. 2,674 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Rectangular flag, with proportions 2:3, made of three triangles with a common vertex in the lower angle of the hoist, and the others in the upper angle of the fly and in the center of the fly, the upper triangle white with a red Cross of Saint James at 1/3 of the hoist, the central red and the lower green.
Coat of arms: Or a rock [peña] vert surmounted by a castle gules masoned sable port and windows of the field. A border argent two Crosses of Saint James gules at dexter and sinister three wheat spikes one in chief and two in base. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.

The rock surmounted by a castle is a representation of the tronconic rock that gave the name of the municipality.

Ivan Sache, 29 November 2010