Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: rionegro del puente | zamora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Rionegro del Puente (305 inhabitants in 2010; 5,300 ha) is located in the north-west of the Zamora Province, 80 km from Zamora. The municipality is made of the villages of Rionegro del Puente (capital), Santa Eulalia del Río Negro, Valleluengo and Villar de Farfón.
Rionegro del Puente is the birth place of the conquistador Diego de Losada (1511-1569; biography). The Losada family was once the most powerful in the Sanabria and Carbellada regions until it lost most of its possessions for the Pimentel, keeping only the domain of Rionegro del Puente. Aged 22, Diego de Losada landed in 1533 in Puerto Rico; he was subsequently named Captain by Ponce de León and commissioned to the conquest of the northern front of Venezuela. He founded there the town of Santiago León de Caracas - today, Caracas, the capital of Venezuela -, most probably on 25 July 1567. The new settlement was named for St. James, whose day is 25 July, Governor Ponce de León, and caraca, a grass found in the neighboring mountains. A few months later, Losada founded the settlement of Nuestra Señora de la Carballeda, today Carballeda. After Ponce de León's death, Losada, disgraced by the new governor, came back to Spain.
Ivan Sache, 30 May 2011
The flag and arms of Rionegro del Puente, designed by Vicente Tocino
Letrado and Tomás Rodríguez Peñas, are prescribed by a Decree adopted
on 27 November 2007 by the Municipal Council, signed on 16 April 2008
by the Mayor, and published on 30 April 2008 in the official gazette
of Castilla y León, No. 82, p. 8,149 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:
Flag: Rectangular flag with proportions 2:3, made of a panel divided by a diagonal stripe running from the lower hoist to the upper fly, red fimbriated white, the triangle at hoist azure and the triangle at fly red.
Coat of arms: Per fess, 1. Azure a vase with lilies argent, 2a. Or an oak eradicated vert, 2b. Gules a bridge argent masoned sable on waves argent and sable. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.
The lower part of the shield is a rebus of the village's name, lit. "The Black River of the Bridge". The river is named for its summer dark color, caused by the blossoming of an alga.
Ivan Sache, 27 April 2011