This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Villadepera (Municipality, Castilla y León, Spain)

Last modified: 2015-01-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: villadepera | zamora |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Villadepera

The municipality of Villadepera (266 inhabitants in 2010; 3,000 ha; municipal website) is located in the west of Zamora Province, 50 km from Zamora.

Villadepera is located on the southern, western bank of river Duero, crossed by the famous Requejo Bridge, named for the Representative Federico Requejo, who promised during his election campaign to support the project - which he did once elected. Designed by the architect José Eugenio Ribera (1864-1936), the bridge, inaugurated in 1914, is made of a single metallic arch of 120 m in length and 90 m in height over the river; it was for a while the longest bridge in Spain.
The village is named for medieval toponyms of Latin origin, villa ("an estate", "a village") and petra ("a stone"). Villa de Pera was mentioned in the 16th century as a mining site; remains of the long abandoned mines are still visible in the neighborhood.

Ivan Sache, 27 February 2011

Symbols of Villadepera

The flag and arms of Villadepera are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 7 December 2000 by the Municipal Council, signed on 27 July 2001 by the Mayor, and published on 10 August 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla y León, No. 156, p. 12,267 (text).
The symbols are described as follows:

Flag: Flag divided into two parts, the upper part argent and the lower part blue.
Coat of arms: On the right [dexter] part or a pear tree [peral] terraced vert fructed or three crosses sable (black). In the left [sinister] part vert a Roman way reaching a river wavy argent and azure on the same a boat sable or black the river between arribes proper in upper left [sinister) part a fountain argent [Crown not mentioned].

The coat of arms shows the river landscape before the building of the Requejo Bridge; the arribes are part of the geological site known as "Arribes del Duero" (Heights of Duero, indeed a canyon).

Ivan Sache, 27 February 2011