Last modified: 2018-01-21 by ivan sache
Keywords: calvados |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Burgee of CYC - Images by Ivan Sache, 21 December 2003
As seen locally (left) and as shown on the YCF list (right).
The municipality and sea resort of Cabourg (3,965 inhabitants in 2006; 552 ha), located on the Côte Fleurie, is separated from the neighbouring town of Dives-sur-Mer by the river Dives.
Cabourg developed in the 19th century from a round square located behind the casino and the Grand Hôtel. The main streets fan out from the sqaure and are linked by semi-circular secondary streets. Cabourg has a long promenade, built along the sand beach. Like in Trouville and Houlgate, the promenade is bordered by a line of villas, whose architectural value is, however, lower
than in Trouville.
The Grand Hôtel of Cabourg was immortalized by Marcel Proust as the Grand Hôtel of Balbec, an imaginary town very similar to Cabourg. Proust stayed at Cabourg every summer from 1907 to 1914, where he met a colourful jet-set and gambled a lot. Several elements of these stays were reused in the second part of À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleur, published in 1918 as the second section of À la recherche du temps perdu, and in Sodome et Gomorrhe, published in 1922 as the third section of the Recherche. Earmarked for destruction, the Grand Hôtel was saved in 1956 by Bruno Coquatrix, the founder and owner of the legendary Olympia music-hall in Paris and later the Mayor of Cabourg.
Cabourg Yacht Club (CYC), founded in 1956 is based on the new marina of Cabourg, set up
in the estuary of river Dives. The burgee of CYC is horizontally
divided green-white-green with the black letters CYC in the middle of
the white stripe.
The list of the clubs affiliated to Yacht Club de France shows the burgee of CYC as green with a white border and the letters CYC in red.
Ivan Sache, 21 December 2003
Burgee of CYC - Image by Ivan Sache, 19 December 2009
Caen Yacht Club (CYC) is based at Bassin Saint-Pierre in the port of commerce of Caen.
The burgee of CYC, adopted in 2017, is red with an orange cross, using the
colors of the former burgee. The vertical arm of the cross is inscribed
with "CAEN" while its horizontal arm in inscribed with "YACHT CLUB", in
white letters, the "A" being placed at the intersection of the cross'
arms. Three white sails are placed in canton, "as the symbol of the
connection with the town of Caen".
The former burgee of CYC, once shown on the CYC website, was red
with a fouled anchor, on which sits a mermaid on viewer's left, and
flanked, on the viewer's right, by the letters "CYC", and a tower, all
The tower on the red field is a straightforward reference to the coat of arms of Caen, "Gules a tower or masoned sable".
Ivan Sache, 16 December 2018
Flag and burgee of SRCO - Images by Ivan Sache, 19 December 2009
Société des Régates de Caen-Ouistreham (SRCO), founded in 1892, is based in the marina of Ouistreham, a municipality (9,252 inhabitants in 2006; 995 ha) located on the English Channel and the site of Sword Beach during the June 1944 landing.
The port of Caen-Ouistreham is located between river Orne and the parallel Canal from Caen to the Sea (14 km).
SRCO has sailing and a sand yachting sections.
The list of the clubs affiliated to Yacht Club de France shows the flag of SRCOas red with a blue diamond charged with a white star.
A burgee of the same design is shown graphically, as part of the club's emblem, together with the flag of Normandy (red with two yellow leopards) on the SRCO website.
Ivan Sache, 19 December 2009