Last modified: 2018-06-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: cherbourg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Cherbourg, two versions - Images by Arnaud Leroy, 25 March 2002
The municipality of Cherbourg-en-Cotentin (80,616 inhabitants in 2015; 6,854 ha) was established on 1 January 2016 as the merger of the former municipalities of Cherbourg-Octeville (36,673 inh., 1,426 ha,; established on 1 March 2000 as the merger of Cherbourg and Octeville), Équeurdreville-Hainneville (16,992 inh., 1,283 ha; established in 1965 as the merger of Équeurdreville and Hainneville), La Glacerie (5,875 inh., 1,870 ha), Querqueville (5,095 inh., 556 ha), and Tourlaville (15,981 inh., 1,719 ha).
The origin of the name of Cherbourg is dubious. The chronicler Jean de Marmoutier (12th century) claimed that the town had been built by Julius Caesar. The earliest mention of the town dates back to 11th century, as Caesaris Burgus, Caesar's town!
Cherbourg is an important military port, sheltered by a huge sea wall which was built from 1783 to 1853. The building of the military port started under Napoléon I, but the port was inaugurated only in 1858 by Napoléon III. The artificial harbour of Cherbourg is the largest in the world.
The arsenal of Cherbourg is constituted of the military port and the Direction of vessels building, specialized in submarines.
During the Second World War, the 7th Corps of the US Army seized the port of Cherbourg, which was obstructed with floating mines and partially destroyed. The port was refurbished extremely quickly and progressively replaced the artificial port of Arromanches for the resupplying of the Allied troops. The seizure of Cherbourg (26-27 June 1944) was a major event of the Battle of Normandy, because it allowed the unloading of heavy equipment necessary to carry on the Battle. From 12 August 1944 onwards, the pipeline PLUTO (Pipe Line Under The Ocean) linked Isle of Wight to Cherbourg and provided oil for the Allied troops.
Cherbourg has inspired several moviemakers such as Marcel Carné (La Marie du Port, 1950), Jacques Demy (Les Parapluies de Cherbourg, 1964), François Truffaut (Les Deux Anglaises et le Continent, 1971), Joseph Losey (Les Routes du Sud, 1978), and Eric Rohmer (Le Rayon Vert, 1986).
Ivan Sache, 25 March 2002
The flag of Cherbourg, as communicated by Michel Hersent, is blue with the municipal coat of arms pin the center. The town also uses a banner of the municipal arms
Arnaud Leroy, 25 March 2002
Flag of ACCH - Image by Ivan Sache, 27 April 2018
ACCH is a sand yachting club based in La Hague, near Cherbourg. They practice on the Vauville beach (9 km).
The flag of ACCH (photos) is white with the club emblem, made of two sand yachts and the writing "A.C.C.H." (top) and "Vauville" (bottom) in black letters.
Ivan Sache, 27 April 2018