Last modified: 2018-06-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: le plan-de-la-tour |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Le Plan-de-la-Tour - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 April 2018
The municipality of Le Plan-de-la-Tour (2,695 inhabitants in 2015, 368
ha; municipal website) is located 10 km north of Sainte-Maxime. The municipality is made of the village of La Plan-de-la-Tour and of 25 hamlets (Courruero, Reverdit, Les Gastons, Les Pierrons, Les Prés, Préconil, Brugassières, Prat-Bourdin, Le Plan, Le Revest, Vallaury, Gambades...).
The municipality was originally known as Plan-de-la-Tour. On 19 June 2006, the Municipal Council applied for changing the name to Le Plan-de-la-Tour. Validated on 24 November 2006 by the General Council of Var, the name change was prescribed by Decree No. 1,021 (text), issued on 3 October 2008 by the State Council - another eight French municipalities were also allowed minor changes in their name.
The village is named for a tower (tour) erected in the early 14th
century by Paulety (today ruined) to protect his farmers working in the
neighboring plain (plan) suitable for agriculture. Due to the
demographic increase, a permanent settlement was established in 1613,
named Plan de la Tour.
The main source of income in Le Plan-de-la-Tour is wine-growing. More than 50 winegrowers grow 183 ha of vineyards, 90% of the wine produced being registered as Côtes-de-Provence. Rosé wine represents 90% of the production, too. All the grapes harvested on the municipal territory are processed and sold by the cooperative winery, which was established in 1962, being therefore the youngest cooperative winery in the department of Var.
Ivan Sache, 9 April 2004
The flag of Le Plan-de-la-Tour, hoisted on the Town Hall, is white with
the municipal coat of arms in the center.
The arms are "Or a tower gules masoned sable on a base vert". They form a rebus of the name of the municipality, the tower (tour) standing on a plain (plan).
Ivan Sache, 8 April 2004