Last modified: 2020-09-12 by ivan sache
Keywords: écharcon |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Écharcon - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 22 May 2020
The municipality of Écharcon (786 inhabitants in 2017; 681 ha) is located in Essonne.
Olivier Touzeau, 22 May 2020
The flag of Écharcon (photo) is white with the municipal coat of arms. In the second quarter, the tincture rule is not respected with a lion azure on a field gules. In the third quarter, the symbol is the landmark, the tower of Écharcon (photo). Little is known about the tower, which was erected, as a hunting lodge, in the beginning of the 20th century, atop the hill overlooking the village.
The tower was most probably built at the same time as the modern castle of Écharcon, which succeeded an older building partially preserved.
[Diagnostic patrimonial du Centre-Essonne. Écharcon/ Conseil régional d'Île-de-France]
The fourth quarter must represent river Essonne, whose marshy bed separates Écharcon from the bigger, neighboring town of Mennecy. Once used for peat extraction, the Essonne marshes had until the First World War a very bad reputation, being a den of "thugs" and "depraved women", who enjoyed gathering in shanty inns established on small islands.
The river once powered a mill, which was replaced around 1820 by a paper mill. Purchased in 1867 by the Darblay family, owner of other paper mills in the region - and still owner of the castle, the factory employed some 100 workers at the end of the 19th century. The valley of Essonne was indeed one of the cradles of France's paper industry.
The Misery marsh (91 ha), located on the municipalities of Écharcon and Vert-le-Petit, was acquired from 1995 to 2007 by the General Council of Essonne to establish a Departmental Domain open to the public (official website).
Olivier Touzeau & Ivan Sache, 22 May 2020