This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pays de la Mée (Traditional district, Brittany, France)

Bro Mez - Paou Méz

Last modified: 2016-11-11 by ivan sache
Keywords: pays de la mée |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]

Flag of Pays de la Mée - Image by Ivan Sache, 20 February 2016


See also:


Presentation of Pays de la Mée

Pays de la Mée was probably named for old Celtic mediolanon, "the place in the middle", reflecting its geographical location in the center of Pays Nantais. Its main towns are Châteaubriant and Derval (An Derv; lit., The Oak).

Ivan Sache, 20 February 2016


Flag of Pays de la Mée

The flag of Pays de la Mée was designed by Raphaël Vinet (Kreabreizh) for the cultural association Hentoù Breizh, in partnership with Philippe Jouët, co-author, with Kilian Delorme, of the Atlas historique des pays et terroirs de Bretagne.
The flag was presented on 10 February 2016 in Châteaubriant by members of Hentoù Breizh. The flag is offered for sale by the association, in three sizes (30 x 45 cm, 60 x 90 cm, 1 x 1.50 m).

The flag is quartered by a black cross, recalling the traditional flag of the Duchy of Brittany. Brittany is also represented by the five ermine spots placed 3 and 2 in the second and third quarters of the flag.

The first quarter of the flag is red, filled with yellow semicircles arranged in horizontal rows, recalling the first arms of the lords of Châteaubriant, "Gules papelonny or", The unusual papelonny design (French, papelonné) is described by Viton de Saint-Allais (1816) and Duhout d'Agicourt (1899) as "looking like fish scales". The authors of the flag of Pays de la Mée refer to peacock feathers. Ogée (Dictionnaire de Bretagne, 1780) reports that King Louis IX (St. Louis) granted the change of the papelonny design, or semy of pine cones also used by the lords, for a semy of fleurs-de-lis or, to lord Chotard of Châteaubriant, who had saved his life during the Battle of Al Mansurah (1250, part of the 7th Crusade). The modern arms of the town of Châteaubriant (description) feature an escutcheon "Gules semÄ of fleurs-de-lis or" on a shield divided per pale France ("Azure three fleurs-de-lis or") and Brittany ("Ermine plain").

The fourth quarter is white with two horizontal red stripes, recalling the old arms of the lords of Derval, "Argent two fesses gules". The modern arms of the town of Derval (presnetation), designed by Michel de Pressensé, adopted on 28 February 1965 by the Municipal Council and registered on 10 September 1969, are "Quarterly Brittany and Derval ancient, on the model of the arms granted in 1332 by Duke John III of Brittany to the lord of Derval.
[Agence Bretagne Presse, 14 February 2016; Ouest-France, 11 February 2016; L'Éclaireur, 17 February 2016]

Ivan Sache, 20 February 2016