This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Agrocampus Ouest (Educational institute, France)

Last modified: 2016-03-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: agrocampus ouest |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Agrocampus Ouest - Image by Ivan Sache, 9 January 2016

See also:

Presentation of Agrocampus Ouest

Agrocampus Ouest (in full, Institut Supérieur des Sciences Agronomiques, Agroalimentaires, Horticoles et du Paysage; website) is a public scientific, cultural and professional institution (EPSCP) under the authority of the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry (MAAF). Agrocampus Ouest is a grande école (an elite college, which is accredited to provide teaching and to award the title of MSc in Engineering, as well as various vocational masters, research masters and PhDs).

Agrocampus Ouest counts 1,900 students (Master, MSc in Engineering and PhD), 150 teaching staff, and 290 administrative and technical staff. The institute is organized in six teaching and research departments and 14 research units, including 360 associate researchers (affiliated with other institutes).
Agrocampus Ouest owns two education and research campuses, based in Rennes (Brittany) on the historical original site, and Angers (Anjou), respectively. The Beg-Meil permanent education center, created in 1968 in the sea resort of Beg-Meil (South Brittany) as the Centre d’Étude du Milieu et de Pédagogie Appliquée du Ministère de l’Agriculture (CEMPAMA), was incorporated in 2008 to Agrocampus Ouest.

Agrocampus Ouest was established in 2008 as the merger of two institutes dating back to the 19th century:
- Agrocampus Rennes (in full, Institut National d'Enseignement Supérieur et de Recherche Agronomique et Agroalimentaire de Rennes);
- the Institut National d'Horticulture (INH), based in Angers.
The École d'Agriculture de Grand-Jouan was founded in 1830 by Jules Rieffel (1806-1886) in Nozay, a town located between Nantes and Rennes. In 1896, the institute was transferred to Rennes, with funds supplied by the municipality of Rennes nd the department of Ille-et-Vilaine. The institute was renamed École Nationale Supérieure Agronomique de Rennes (ENSAR) in 1962, Agrocampus Ouest was established in 2004 as the merger of the ENSAR and of two other local institutes, the École Nationale Supérieure Féminine d'Agronomie (ENSFA) and the Institut National Supérieur de Formation Agro-alimentaire (INSFA).
The INH was established in 1997 as the merger of the École Nationale Supérieure d'Horticulture (ENSH), founded in 1874 in Versailles by Pierre Joigneaux and trnsferred in 1995 to Angers, and of the École Nationale des Ingénieurs des Travaux de l’Horticulture et du Paysage (ENITHP), founded in 1971 in Angers.

Ivan Sache, 9 January 2016

Flag of Agrocampus Ouest

The flag of Agrocampus Ouest, as hoisted in front of the historical building of the Rennes campus, is white with the emblem of the institute.
The emblem of Agrocampus Ouest is made of a gray blue roundish area, probably evoking the geographical area covered by the institute, charged with the writing AGRO / CAMPUS / OUEST (in smaller letters) in white letters, CAMPUS and OUEST being separated by a thin white horizontal line that turns gray blue when running out of the shape, on the right part of the emblem.

Ivan Sache, 9 January 2016