Last modified: 2010-11-13 by ivan sache
Keywords: armement nord-africain cherfils | letters: ana (red) | sun: 7 rays (red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of ANA Cherfils - Image by Ivan Sache, 21 January 2005
The Cherfils company, created in Oran (Algeria) in 1930, repatriated in 1961 to Marseilles with its last ship, MS Les-Anassiers, named after the shipowner's estate in Algiers. The ship was managed by Schiaffino until sold in Greece in 1970, when the Cherfils company disappeared.
Antoine Cherfils settled in Algiers in 1830, short after the French
conquest, being then the first ship broker in North Africa and a main resuuplier of the French army. When his company
increased, he significantly contributed to the rise of the port of
Antoine Cherfils was succeeded in 1863 by his son Prosper, who created new scheduled lines operated by the Compagnie des Vapeurs Algériens, the Société Générale des Transports Maritimes à Vapeur, the < HREF="fr~hfcbv.html">Compagnie des Bateaux à Vapeur du Nord and other shipping companies. The port of Algiers became a main port of call on the road to India. Cherfils was Municipal Councillor in Mustapha and later in Algiers, and member of the Chamber of Commerce of Algiers for 23 years. He promoted the building of the harbour station and the use of the Agha's Bassin for passenger and cargo ships. Upon his request, the Al Djefna islet was linked to mainland and became the main wharf for shipping of fruit and vegetables to Europe. Cherfils lobbied for the decrease of customs tax, which allowed Algiers to be ranked the third French port.
Ivan Sache, 21 January 2005
P. Bois [boi03] shows the house flag of Armement Nord-Africain Cherfils as white with an horizontal green line in the middle of the flag, a seven-ray red sun in lower hoist and the red letters "ANA" in upper fly.
Ivan Sache, 28 February 2004