Last modified: 2014-05-15 by ivan sache
Keywords: compagnie navale des pétroles |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
House flag of the CNP - Image by Ivan Sache, 10 March 2014
The Compagnie Française des Pétroles (CFP) was established by the French government on 24 March 1924. The French state owned 35% of the share of the company, which had two main goals:
- the management of the Middle-Eastern oil production allocated to France after the first World War;
- the establishment of an oil company of international level.
The CFP set up several subsidiaries including the Compagnie Navale des Pétroles (CNP), of which it owned 99.9% of the shares. Founded in 1931, the CNP transported in 1966 some 20% of French oil.
The company was merged in 1978 with the Compagnie Auxiliaire de Navigation to form Total Compagnie Française de Navigation.
Ivan Sache, 10 March 2014
The house flag of the CNP, as shown in Merchant Marine Houseflags and Stack Insignia (US Navy Hydrographic Office, 1961), is blue with a white canton charged with the red letters "C", "N" and "P", "C" surrounding "NP".
Ivan Sache & Klaus-Michael Schneider, 12 March 2014