Last modified: 2011-06-11 by rob raeside
Keywords: down cruising club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The burgee can be seen in detail at
http://www.downcruisingclub.co.uk/Img/D_C_C_Logo.jpg. It is red with a
large disk displaying a black tower on a green hilltop, white background.
Located by Jan Mertens, 30 March 2010
Quoting from the Club's history page,
"The Club was set up with the prime objective being to promote cruising either solo or in company [and] was officially formed in 1956 (..) the Club burgee was designed by an artis[t]ic member, Dante Lynas. At that time of course the Club did not have the lightship so Scrabo Tower, being a very prominent landmark on Scrabo Hill at the head of the Strangford Lough was chosen as the Clubs emblem."
Filmlet presenting this remarkable tower: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blueprint/media/scrabo.shtml
Since 1968 a moored lightship, the 'Petrel', serves as the clubhouse for about 100 members "interested in all aspects of boating and cruising on Strangford Lough" at Ballydorn Road, Killinchy, Newtownards.
Jan Mertens, 29 May 2011