Last modified: 2011-10-21 by rob raeside
Keywords: enniskillen yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 15 September 2011
Some facts gleaned here & there about the elusive Enniskillen
Yacht Club: founded 1905, starting out with twelve newly built boats – Fairy
Class - on Lough Erne, Fermanagh, in the S.W. of N. Ireland (UK); last trace
found, death of Commodore in 1980.
Red burgee bearing yellow three-part building (Enniskillen Castle??), with three tiny pennants on the roofs, found on p. 103 of Part II of the 1928 German Flaggenbuch.
Clickable image of 1928 testimonial (“Memorial to Robert W. Wilson, Founder Member and first Commodore of Enniskillen Yacht Club”) showing this burgee, page (last image) and direct link: http://www.classicsailireland.com/fairy-class, http://www.classicsailireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/memory_of_1200.jpg. In this case however the buildings huddle near the hoist... It may be that the Flaggenbuch erroneously allowed the building, or houses, to fill up the field.
Jan Mertens, 14 September 2011
In part the same information can be found at http://www.nisailing.co.uk/classes/fairy/index.php, but also:"In 1905, contrasting with ancient LEYC’s gentry membership on the Upper Lake, members of Enniskillen’s merchant classes set up the Enniskillen Yacht Club. One stalwart was Auctioneer, Bob Wilson. They developed Sailing again on the Lower Lake, where LEYC began in 1818 and was organised by the Irvines of Necarne for its first 50 years. ...