Last modified: 2014-07-18 by rob raeside
Keywords: royal northern yacht club |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Clay Moss, 11 July 2014
The Dumpy Book of Ships and the Sea (1957)
shows the burgee blue with a large anchor (fouled with rope) surmounted by a
James Dignan, 12 February 2008
This club continues merged as Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club.
Peter Hans van den Muijzenberg, 11 April 2013
The Northern Yacht Club apparently assumed the title ‘royal’ because King
William IV, when Duke of Clarence, had been a patron of the club. Royal
patronage did not entitle a club to call itself ‘royal’, and in any case the
patronage was withdrawn when the Duke became King. The club’s title ‘royal’ was
not officially authorised until 1909. [National Archives HO 44/21 and HO
The first club to be granted the title ‘royal’, after the Yacht Club (later Yacht Squadron) in 1820, was the Irish Yacht Club in 1831.
David Prothero, 14 April 2013