Last modified: 2012-09-29 by ivan sache
Keywords: sagarejo | cross: patty (yellow) | crosses: 12 (yellow) | hand (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag and arms of Sagarejo - Images communicated by The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia, 23 February 2012
The municipality of Sagarejo (59,212 inhabitants in 2002, 12,600 in
the town proper; 1,554 sq. km) is located in southeastern Georgia, on
the border with Azerbaijan, 60 km of Tbilisi.
Sagarejo was originally known as Tvali / Tuali (The Eye). In the 14th-15th centuries, the kings of Georgia allocated Tvali to the Davit Gajera monastery; in the 17th-18th centuries, the town was known as Tval-Sagarejo, that is "Tval owned by the Gareja monastery". The name was shortened to Sagarejo in the 19th century.
Source: Sagarejo webpage in the Kakheti Region website
The Davit Gajera monastery, founded in the 6th century by St. David Garejeli, was increased in the 9th century by St. Ilarion. An important center of culture and education, the monastery was favoured by the Georgian kings. Reestablished in 1690, the monastery was closed in 1921 after the incorporation of Georgia to Soviet Union and used as a training camp by the army until 1997, which caused huge street demonstrations and strikes in the late 1990s. The complex, partially located on the Azerbaijani territory, has been a bone of contention between Georgia and Azerbaijan since 1991.
Source: Eurasianet, 2 November 2006
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2012
The flag and arms of Sagarejo are prescribed by Decree No. 8, adopted on 27 May 2011 by the Municipal Council.
The flag is vertically divided purple-red (1:2). The purple stripe is charged with a hand holding a stone surmounted by seven rays, all yellow. There are twelve yellow "Georgian" crosses patty, six (3 + 3) above the hand and six (3 + 3) below it.
The flag is a quasi-banner of the municipal arms, "Per pale, 1. Purpure a hand holding a stone surmounting by seven rays in chief six crosses patty (3 + 3) in base six crosses patty (3 + 3) all or, 2. Gules a grapevine leaved and fructed of three all or. The shield surmounted by a three-towered mural crown argent fimbriated sable. Under the shield a scroll argent fimbriated sable charged with the name of the town in Georgian capital letters sable".
Source: The State Council of Heraldry at the Parliament of Georgia (website).
Ivan Sache, 3 June 2012