This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Tinos (Municipality, Greece)

Τήνος

Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: tinos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Flag]         [Flag]

Flag of Tinos, two versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 16 January 2015


See also:


Presentation of Tinos

The municipality of Tinos (8,636 inhabitants in 2011, 19,460 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities of Exomvourgo (Εξώμβουργο, 2,692 inh.), Panormos (Πάνορμος, 679 inh.) and Tinos (5,203 inh.).

Tinos is famous in Greece for the Church of Panagia Evangelistria, its 80 windmills, and its Venetian fortifications at the mountain, Exomvourgo. Tinos is also the center of a yearly pilgrimage that takes place on the date of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (15 August).

In antiquity, Tinos was also known as Ophiussa and Hydroessa. Following the capture of Constantinople by the Fourth Crusade, Tinos was one of several islands ruled by private Venetian citizens and belonged to Geremia Ghisi, whose heirs held it until 1390 when the last member of the family branch bequeathed both Tinos and Mykonos to Venice. It was ruled by Venice until 1715, when Tinos was captured by the Ottoman Empire and became known as ─░stendil. The Ottomans held Tinos until 1821 when the inhabitants joined in the Greek War of Independence.

Olivier Touzeau, 16 January 2015


Flag of Tinos

The flag of Tinos is blue with a white Greek cross and the municipal emblem in the middle, on an ochre field. Two versions are known:
- a flag with a circular emblem surrounded by a white disk with the words ΔΗΜΟΣ ΤΗΝΟΥ (photo, 2013);
- a flag with an ellipsoidal emblem and the words ΔΗΜΟΣ ΤΗΝΟΥ (Kokkonis website, before 2011).

Olivier Touzeau, 16 January 2015