Last modified: 2015-08-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: hersonissos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Hersonissos, current and former versions - Images by Olivier Touzeau, 1 February 2015
The municipality of Hersonissos (26,717 inhabitants in 2011; 27,160 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities of Episkopi (Επισκοπή, 2,533 inh.), Gouves (Γούβες, 7,761 inh.), Hersonissos (8,262 inh.) and Malia (Μάλια, 6,212 inh.).
Hersonissos is located in the north of Crete, bordering the Aegean Sea, about 25 km east of Heraklion.
Chersonesos was an important seaport from classical Greece through Byzantine times that served the city of Lyttos. The ancient town of Chersonnesus early became a Christian bishopric, a suffragan of the metropolitan see of Gortyna. After the Venetian conquest of Crete in 1212, the existing dioceses, such as Chersonnesus, were administered by Latin Church bishops. The line of residential Latin bishops ended with the conquest of Crete by the Ottomans in 1669.
Olivier Touzeau, 1 February 2015
The flag of Hersonissos (photo) is white with the municipal emblem in the middle.
The former flag of Hersonissos (Kokkonis website) featured a different emblem.
Olivier Touzeau,1 February 2015