This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ermionida (Municipality, Greece)


Last modified: 2014-10-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: ermionida | didyma |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Ermionida

The municipality of Ermionida (13,551 inhabitants in 2011; 41,760 ha) was formed in the 2011 local government reform by the merger of the two former municipalities of Ermioni (Ερμιόνη, 4,099 inh.) and Kranidi (Κρανίδι, 9,452 inh.).

Olivier Touzeau, 9 September 2013

Community of Didyma


Flag of Didyma, uncertain status - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 9 September 2013

The municipality of Didyma (Δίδυμα) was first created by the administrative division of 1833 and was one the 4 original townships in Ermionida Province. By Royal Decree in 1841 the municipality was abolished and merged with Ermionida and Kranidi. Reconstituted by Royal Decree of 29 July 1866, the municipality of Didyma was maintained until the abolition of the enlarged municipalities in 1912, when were created the communities of Fournoi and Iliokastro.
Didyma was later a municipal unit of the municipality of Kranidi, together with Fournoi, Koilada, Kranidi, and Portocheli. Neighbouring Ermioni municipality had three municipal units: Ermioni, Iliokastro, and Thermisia.

A flag of the municipality of Didyma is shown on the Kokkonis website as yellow with the seal of the municipality in black, surrounded by the words "ΔΗΜΟΣ ΔΙΔΥΜΩΝ" and the year "1866".
It is doubtful that such a flag would have been in use before 1912 by the municipality of Didyma. It is more likely that this flag was made for people wishing to reconstitute a municipality for Didyma, for example, or to symbolize the former municipality many years after its abolition.

Olivier Touzeau, 9 September 2013