This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Skopelos (Municipality, Greece)


Last modified: 2016-03-01 by ivan sache
Keywords: skopelos |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Former flag of Skopelos - Image by Olivier Touzeau, 2 January 2014

See also:

Presentation of Skopelos

The municipality of Skopelos (4,960 inhabitants in 2011; 9,623 ha) is made of an island located in the western Aegean Sea, in the Northern Sporades island group. The municipality was not changed with the 2011 local government reform.

According to the legend, Skopelos was founded by Staphylos, one of the sons of the god Dionysos and the princess Ariadne of Crete. Historically, in the Late Bronze Age the island was colonised by Cretans, who introduced viticulture to the island. The island (then called Peparethos) was known throughout the ancient Greek cities of the Mediterranean Sea for its wine. The island was briefly under the control of the city-state of Chalcis (Euboea) since at least the 8th century BC, and then from Athens, the kingdom of Macedon (338-146 BC), the Romans (146 BC-330 AD), the Byzantine Empire (and briefly the Latin Empire of Constantinople and the Ottoman Empire) until 1456, the Republic of Venice (1456-1538), and then the Ottoman Empire, until the Greek War of Independence.

Olivier Touzeau, 2 January 2014

Flag of Skopelos

The former flag of Skopelos (Kokkonis website) was white with the former municipal emblem. There is no evidence of a flag with the new logo.

Olivier Touzeau, 2 January 2014