Last modified: 2016-07-30 by ivan sache
Keywords: donja stubica |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Donja Stubica - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 June 2013
The Town of Donja Stubica (5,930 inhabitants in 2001, 2,524 in the town of Donja Stubica) is located due north of Zagreb, but inbetween is the Zagreb Mountain (1,033 m), so it takes at least a good half an hour drive or more from here to there anyway you go.
Donja Stubica was first given the Municipality Status, which was upgraded to the Town Status in 1997.
Željko Heimer, 13 June 2004
The symbols of Donja Stubica are prescribed by Statutory Decision Statutarna odluka o grbu i zastavi Grada Donja Stubica, adopted on 22 September 2000 by the Town Assembly and published on 26 January 2001 in the County official gazette Službeni glasnik Krapinsko-zagorske županije, No. 1A.
The current Town Statutes mention the existence of the symbols, but do not describe them.
The symbols, designed by the Heraldic Art d.o.o. company, from Rijeka, were approved on 12 July 2000 by the Ministry of Justice, Administration and Local Self-government.
The flag is blue with the coat of arms, bordered yellow, in the middle.
Željko Heimer, 4 November 2007
Coat of arms of Donja Stubica - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 June 2013
The coat of arms of Donja Stubica is "Per bend serrated argent and vert".
The coat of arms is canting as the name of the place is derived from the word meaning "a step" or "a stair". The description of the coat of arms in the aforementioned Decision explicitly states that there should be seven "steps".
Željko Heimer, 3 August 2006
Ceremonial flag of Donja Stubica - Image by Željko Heimer, 3 October 2015
The ceremonial flag (photo) is also described in the aformentioned Decision, which is not the case in many such Decisions. However, the description is rather general, stating that it is a dark blue gonfalon sized 80 x 160 cm, made of "high shine atlas" silk with the coat of arms in the middle and golden inscription "Grad Donja Stubica" above. The flag is edged with a golden ribbon and with tails at the bottom and is accompanied with carrying equipement, ornamented staff and a postament. There is no mention of the branches ornamenting the coat of arms and the inscription "1209", though
Željko Heimer & Marko Vitez, 3 October 2015
Table flag of Donja Stubica - Image by Željko Heimer, 3 October 2015
Former flag (reconstructed image) and arms of Donja Stubica - Images by Željko Heimer, 10 September 2011
The former symbols of Donja Stubica are prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi Općine Donja Stubica, adopted on 31 March 1994 by the Municipality Assembly and published on 25 April 1994 in the County official gazette Službeni glasnik Županije Krapinsko-zagorske, No. 29.
The flag is described as follows.
... coloured blue with the coat of arms of the Municipality of Donja Stubica in the middle. The centre point of the coat of arms matches the crossing point of the diagonals of the flag. Beneath the coat of arms is the year "1209", and above the coat of arms is the inscription "Donja Subica". The bottom part of the flag is divided with two indentations, 1/5 of the flag's width wide. The flag is edged with a golden border.
The coat of arms is described as follows.
... in a shield shape diagonally divided from the top right corner to the bottom left part with seven golden steps. The right lower part is blue and the left top part is green. In the middle is the church of the Holy Trinity coloured golden yellow. In the base of the shield are two golden curves symbolizing a creek. The coat of arms is edged with a golden line.
Željko Heimer, 10 September 2011
Flag and arms of Stubica - Images by Željko Heimer, 3 October 2015
The flag used in the municipality, then called simply Stubica, from the mid-1970s to the early 1990s, was light blue with the golden coat of arms in the centre.
The coat of arms might have had a coloured version, but it was used mostly monocoloured. It depicts in a stylized shield shape a city on a hill
with three roofed towers, a flag hoisted from the central one, and in
the base, on each side of the path leading towards it, a flail and a
scythe. Over the shield a ribbon inscribed "Stubica" between two
five-pointed stars. The weapons and tools symbolise the peasant revolt of 1573.
The coat of arms is still used, with the five-pointed stars removed, in the emblem of the local cultural-artistic society KUD "Stubica", established in 1976 - with the arms superimposed on a lyre.
Željko Heimer & Tomislav Šipek, 3 October 2015