Last modified: 2014-07-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: bol |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Bol - Image by Željko Heimer, 18 May 2013
The municipality of Bol (1,661 inhabitants in 2001, 1,647 in the village of Bol) is located on the central southern coast of Brac island.
Bol na Bracu is among the most elite tourist resorts on the Adriatic, with the famous protruding sand beach of Zlatni rat.
Željko Heimer, 5 August 2004
The symbols of Bol are prescribed in the Municipality Statutes Statut općine Bol, adopted on 3 February 2006 by the Municipality Council and published on 4 February 2006 in the Municipality official gazette Službeni glasnik Općine Bol, No. 1 (text).
This is repeated in the current Municipality Statutes Statut Općine Bol, adopted on 22 September 2009 by the Municipality Council and published on 23 September 2009 in Službeni glasnik Općine Bol, No. 5 (text).
The symbols were designed by the Heraldic Art d.o.o. company, from Rijeka, and approved by the Ministry of Administration / Central State Office for Administration before 2006.
The flag is prescribed in Article 7 of the Statutes as in proportions 1:2, blue with the coat of arms, bordered yellow, in the middle.
Željko Heimer, 6 January 2011
Coat of arms of Bol - Image by Željko Heimer, 18 May 2013
The coat of arms is described in Article 6 of the Statutes as a semi-circular shield divided into blue and green in ratio 6:1. The blue is named "turquoise blue", although that would make it way to greenish. The lion is described to be "standing with its head turned in the half-profile". The arm is described to be "an arm of a land worker with the shirt sleeve rolled up, holding a green laurel twig". Ströhl (Städte-Wappen von Ö-U, 1904) [stl04] describes a coat of arms only slightly different: the base is described brown, the colour of the lion's eyes is given as green, while the hand is clad in a red trimmed brown sleeve and holding an olive branch. Ströhl's drawing is not so much unlike the current design. This coat of arms is said to have been granted on 8 October 1888. Ströhl also notes that a flag was in use at the time, red-white-blue tricolor with the shield of the coat of arms in the centre; this must have been introduced after 1883 when the (Croatian) People's Party won the elections.
Željko Heimer, 18 September 2009