Last modified: 2014-09-02 by ivan sache
Keywords: ivanic-grad |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Ivanić-Grad - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 August 2012
The Town of Ivanić-Grad (14,723 inhabitants in 2001, 7,714 in the town of Ivanić-Grad) is located some 20 km south-east of Zagreb. Until 1997, Ivanić-Grad was part of the Sisak-Moslavina County, at first (until mid 1993) with the Municipality status.
Željko Heimer, 8 June 2004
The symbols of Ivanić-Grad are prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi Grada Ivanic-Grada, adopted on 13 March 2008 by the Town Assembly and published in the Town official gazette Službeni glasnik Grada Ivanić-Grad, No. 3.
The current Town Statutes Statut Grada Ivanić-Grad, adopted on 13 July 2009 and published the same day in Službeni glasnik Grada Ivanić-Grad, No. 7, includes the description of the coat of arms and the flag, unlike the previous Statutes (2001), which only mention the symbols.
The symbols were approved on 24 April 2009 by the Central State Office for Administration.
The flag (photo) is described as a blue flag, with proportions 1:2, with the coat of arms in the middle.
Željko Heimer & Marko Vitez, 10 February 2014
Coat of arms of Ivanić-Grad - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 August 2012
The coat of arms of Ivanić-Grad is described in the aforementioned Decision as "Azure a tower with three embattlements between three bulrushes at each side." The plants around the tower are called bulrushes in the 1994 and 2008 Decision, lilies (fleurs-de-lis) in the State approval, and irises in the 2009 Town Statutes, without changing their actual appearance in the design.
Quoting the municipal website:
The oldest historical data on the use of the seal of the Free Market Town of Ivanić-Grad is from the 17th century. The symbolic and contents of the seal are preserved in a document from 1664. The seal is circular, containing in the middle a stone-masoned tower on a wide basement. The tower is topped with embattlements, and has opened doors. On both sides of it are three stalks of flowering lilies. Along the outer rim is the inscription "S COMMUNIT TATIS DE IVANICH" (seal of the Community of Ivanić).
The seal contents can be connected with the location of Ivanić-Grad on an island in Lonja Field, where the old town stood surrounded with marshes of flowering lilies. The tower is beyond any doubt the symbol of the defensive significance of the town, confirmed from the erection of oldest fortresses by the bishops of Zagreb until the the Renaissance castle, which remained impenetrable during the most critical years of Turkish raids.
New town coat of arms and seal have been used since 1792 when the new Town Executive Board was established, initially used with the German inscription "MILITAR-COMMUNITAT FESTUNG IVANIC" (Imperial-Royal Military Community of Ivanić). After 1872 the inscription was replaced with a Croatian one.
In that new coat of arms there is no ancient symbolic. The new coat of arms preserved in seals on numerous documents of the town administration and stone-carved still standing on the town hall building in Ivanić, retained the oval shape, the central symbolic of the old tower with opened doors, onto which is set the Croatian coat of arms, above it the Royal crown and a cross. This is supported by two Imperial griffins. The inscription reads "POGLAVARSTVO GRADA IVANIĆ TVRĐE" (Executive Board of the Town of Ivanic Fortress).
Željko Heimer, 18 February 2014
Former flag (reconstruction) and arms of Ivanić-Grad - Image by Željko Heimer, 18 February 2014
The former symbols of Ivanić-Grad are prescribed by Decision Odluka o grbu i zastavi Grada Ivanic-Grada, adopted on 13 September 1994 and published in Službeni glasnik Grada Ivanić-Grad, No. 3.
THe coat of arms was virtually the same as the current one, but the flag was slightly different, as prescribed in Article 5 of the Decision:
The flag of the Town of Ivanić-Grad is of blue colour, with the white coat of arms of the Town of Ivanić-Grad in the centre. The ratio of width to length of the flag is 1:2. The coat of arms is set perpendicularly to the length og the flag. [The flag] is bordered with a white and red ribbon.
Željko Heimer, 18 February 2014